MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fit & Finish

Fit & Finish Fit and Finish = the difference in "good art" and "fine art." Join in, as we discuss the fine art of finish and embellishment.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:57 PM

finishing micarta???

what progression of sanding before buffing and what buffing compound the red doesnt come off the micarta what is the final grit of paper before polishing and which compound to polish and how to remove buffing compound residue is what im asking thanks Lee
Old 01-27-2012, 06:41 PM
Skilled

Well hoss, I ain't much on buffing anything. I have seen too many makers use a buffer to "shine" up their mistakes.

On Micarta, I rough grind with a 60 grit, (and maybe a round file thrown in from time-to-time) then an 80 grit, then with a 220. Its all "by hand" from there on.

I usually start over by hand with 220 (Norton 3X), then to 400, 600, 800, and most times finish up with 1000. (Be aware that your micarta sands at different rates than your handle pin materials, so you will have to compensate in order for your pins not to come out "proud" of the micarta handle.

Once I have everything nice and smooth, I put on a couple of coats of "Teak" oil. It helps to seal the fibers in the Micarta. Put on a heavy coat and let it soak for about 30 minutes, then wipe the excess off. Let it dry overnight, then do it again. After it has dried, take a cotton cloth and rub the snotz out of it. It shines up like new money, and all the fibers are sealed.

Oh wait......... You asked about "buffing".......... Did I say "I don't buff"?

This is just my way of doing things, but your mileage may vary. I'm not an expert knifemaker, however, I did drive by a Holiday Inn one time.

Robert
Old 01-27-2012, 07:36 PM
Hall of Famer

I sand it out with wet/dry sandpaper using WD-40 to a fine a grit as I want and then just clean it up.

Doug

Old 03-09-2012, 09:37 PM
Skilled

If you just want to use the buffer, try the pink "no-scratch" rouge. It'll work and it wipes off with a little acetone or laquer thinner. It'll be quick and it will shine it like glass. HOWEVER, what you will probably see though is buffing will bring out any tiny scratches you should have gotten out with some version of the process Mr. Dark alluded to. No real short cuts around the elbow grease unfortunately....

Get you a thin piece of micarta or metal to use for a sandpaper backing to avoid leaving the bolts/pins raised above the handle (303 SS corbys will drive you insane!)

"..good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from poor judgement.." -Gary McMahan, a cowboy poet and good dancer.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...24112090995576
Old 11-07-2012, 07:12 PM

micarta

What final coat if any do you use for finished Micarta?
Old 11-11-2012, 11:40 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Lester View Post
I sand it out with wet/dry sandpaper using WD-40 to a fine a grit as I want and then just clean it up.

Doug
sir, what grit are you sanding to / finishing up with ?
thank you
Old 11-11-2012, 12:37 PM
Hall of Famer

I sand out to around 2000 grit and just wipe the excess WD-40 off. I'd be a little hesitant to use something like acetone but alcohol probably wouldn't react with the resin in the Micarta.

Doug

Tags
coat, handle, knifemaker, micarta, pins, resin, sand