MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 07-28-2016, 12:26 PM
Guru

who uses band saws ??

hey guys i am curious for those of you that use a band saw to cut profiles....what kinda blades do you use? also on average how many can you cut before dulling the blade? any techniques for making the blade last longer? i have found the lenox die master blades like ray suggested are the best but i still feel like it should last longer. any one use any of the pastes for lubrication does that help? some times i put 3 in 1 oil on the steel as i cut but dont notice much of a difference
Old 07-28-2016, 02:03 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

I tried the lubricants but found them to be too messy and too much trouble. The best way I've found to make the blade last is to a) choose the right number of teeth for the thickness you're cutting and b) don't break the teeth.

Not breaking the teeth generally means to avoid pushing the steel into the blade too hard, let the blade do the cutting. I do all my profiling with the bandsaw that can be done that way. My blades usually last for 6 months or more unless I knock the teeth off...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 07-28-2016, 02:36 PM
Steel Addict

I use Lenex too. I get them at my local Lowes for 18.00 for three portabands. That's 6 bucks a piece and I get 15 blades pretty easy out of each one. That about 50 cent per blade and I figure that's pretty. cheap.

Like Ray say tooth count is really important for blade life. I use a 24 tooth blade and almost never chip a tooth unless I push the blade too hard.

Erik
Old 07-28-2016, 03:05 PM
Steel Addict

I use a Olson brand from a local wholesale store. They are a 18 tooth bi-metal blade 64 1/2 inches long. Depending on how rough I am last about 6 months. I don't force ciurve cuts but cut chunks out to make a curve. I do about 100 blades a year now.
If I run into a hang up problem just take it to the grinder and grind that part out. It will. Skip then and keep. Going.
They cost me about $20 a blade.
Old 07-28-2016, 04:28 PM
Guru

ok i am DEFFINITLY doing some thing wrong like i said the best blade i found is the lenox 14-18 skip tooth blade 64 1/2 in and i am only getting maybe 8-10 knives out of it maybe i need a higher tooth count i mainly use 1/8, 5/32 stock 3/16 once in a while.... Oh and i am paying almost 30 bucks a blade
Old 07-28-2016, 05:06 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Lenox does cost about $30/blade. Definitely do not use the skip tooth version on such thin stock. That's basically the same as starting out with missing teeth....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 07-28-2016, 06:01 PM
Guru

ok ill have to look around alot of the suplly sites have badnsaw blades but not the lenox ones knife and gun only has skip tooth in the 64 1/2 thats what i have been getting
Old 07-28-2016, 10:43 PM
Guru

Some thoughts on cutting fluids.

For a bandsaw fluids are a no no unless setup for coolants. The oil gets on the wheels and speeds up the deterioration of the rubber that keeps the blades from slipping. I wouldn't use 3 in one oil in any case as it isn't a cutting oil. Tap Magic is designed for cutting and if you use it on a bandsaw just smear it on the top of the part along the scribe line, don't ever put it directly on your blade it makes a huge mess. Last place I worked we had several band saw and cutting wax is what we used on most of them. It comes in tubes and lasts a long time, years for most knife makers. There are many brands, but the best ones are like around $15-$25 per 16 ounce tube, but they do last a long time. They have cheaper, but you get what you pay for. There are also some spray dry lubes too, but I've never tried any.

Brutelube or Walter Coolcut I've used and I've had my tube for years, but I don't cut steel with my bandsaw, but do cut brass and aluminum. I put some of this stuff on taps as well, it works better than Tap Magic and it doesn't drip all over my saw or when I'm tapping a thread hole for a bolster or pommel. Olson's make a small little tube wax for $6.99 on Amazon, but it is only 0.5 ounce. I"ve never tried it , but it has 4 and a half stars. Supposed to work on wood. I'm thinking of buying some for dymondwood and super hard Ironwoods.

Desert ironwood and some other woods have silicates in them and they wear blades out rather quickly. I made my boss mad at me when I was gifted two desert ironwood limbs and I used the big bandsaw at work to slice it into slabs. I wore out a $125 blade with them as they wouldn't cut aluminum or brass when I was done. He was was a little perturbed.LOL I wasn't aware at the time of how abrasive the wood was on cutting tools.

Tags
band saw, bee, blade, blades, brand, brass, cheap, choose, easy, grinder, gun, knife, knives, make, making, ore, problem, steel, store, thickness, tools, wood, woods