MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Photography Discussion

Knife Photography Discussion Share and improve your techniques on knife photography. Web and print imaging discussions welcome. Come on in ...

Old 02-01-2005, 04:59 AM

Challenges & opportunities for the amateur photographer at the ABS Reno Show

There's no way I could post a decent review of the 3rd Annual ABS All-Forged Blade Exposition held in Reno, NV this past weekend. There is just too much to say. It was an amazing experience - humbling to say the least. The level of artistry and craftsmanship on display in Reno was mind-boggling. Rich (Slaughter) and I were talking outside the show room and he said it well with classic understatement - "There's not a 'dog' in there anywhere."

So, I decided to tuck this thread back here in the photography discussion forum and just include a variety of images with comments that might be of interest to photographers. In the near future I hope to post images of knives from this show - but that will be an on-going project. In the meantime, I hope you all will enjoy these images and think about how you would've used your own camera and photo-editing software had you been there.

As you will see, there were many challenges, many of which were the function of low-light conditions. Additionally, different rooms and areas were lit differently - flourescent, tungsten, multi-colored flashing lights etc. While it was possible to use a flash occasionally, in the end I had to surrender and figure out how to make my camera capture the images using available light. Using the flash, even with bounce techniques, flash exposure compensation etc. simply produced too much uneven and harsh lighting.

Rotating greetings on the huge dome ceiling above the mid-way welcomed those attending the various scheduled events. Distance was maybe 80-100 feet above the camera.

"My attractive wife" accompanied me to Reno. This was a flash shot at very close distance with darkness behind and colored lights in the distance.

In the lobby of the Silver Legacy hotel were various displays. This collection of old silverware was under a 2" thick plexiglas box. Flash would reflect off the plastic and the silver. What to do? Figured out how to bump up the ISO to about 400 to get this shot using available light. Lens in this, the above and many of the following animal shots was wide open at 2.8 - thus the nicely blurred background.

Because the Safari Club International was meeting there as well, the lobby was full of the most amazing taxidermy.

Last edited by Buddy Thomason; 02-01-2005 at 06:34 AM.
Old 02-01-2005, 05:13 AM

Speaking of the lobby, I ran into Oliver North who was the keynote speaker at some event Thursday evening and we had a brief conversation. I said, "Please, go ahead of me." And he said, "Thank you." Had two 'men in black' with him.

The gun engravers and scrimshanders were meeting there too. These items were under glass in the lobby as part of a display promoting their show. Getting good images of items under glass like this is #### near impossible!
Old 02-01-2005, 05:32 AM

Some shots in the show room:

"My attractive wife" was fascinated by Raymond Rybar's outstanding creations which are loaded with wonderful details and symbolism.

The display table cloth covers as well as the red in the carpet and on the walls, along with the funky mix of flourescent and tungsten lighting was truly a photographer's nightmare of horrid color casts.

Here's a friendly face! Rik Palm - he's smiling because he sold everything on his table pretty much right off the bat!

Then it was time for the banquet and auction. Jerry Fisk, in his truly unique style, would describe the item to be auctioned and 'Col. Tim' (a top pro in the auction world) would proceed to work the crowd while a helper walked the item around the room. What a riot! This was big fun!

This cane by Bill Moran was one of many special items auctioned at the banquet.

Col. Tim on a roll!

Last edited by Buddy Thomason; 02-01-2005 at 05:56 AM.
Old 02-01-2005, 05:40 AM

Excellent!

You are far better than me. I am a fish out of water when confronted by these scenarios, and all of your images are clear and crisp.

I was at an auction with Jerry and Col. TIm once. It was unforgettable. He gets you laughing so hard you are WILLING to pay more. That's a good asset in an auction!

Looking forward to your continuations. Thanks again!

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 02-01-2005, 05:50 AM

I was totally psyched when Eric Eggly (Point 7 Studios & Imaging) invited me to hang out and watch him work. He's using a $30,000 Phase One digital back on a medium format camera.

Here's the old mirror technique mentioned numerous times on this forum.

And here is a scan of the photograph he's shooting above. Turned out nice!

After watching Eric do his thing I went up to my room and made this image of a beautiful Mark Sentz snakewood folder using the seat of a chair as a background. Light tent? Light tents are for sissys!
Old 02-01-2005, 06:14 AM

Next was the 'silent auction.' If you wanted to bid you got a number, wrote your number and your bid on the item's paper and when time was up the high bidder won. Here is Jay Hendrickson watching over the items. These knives were awesome - Dan Winkler, Larry Fuegen, Bailey Bradshaw, Rick Eaton, Rick Dunkerley, Harvey Dean, Joe Sizslaski, Joe Keeslar and more.

The ABS offered this absolutely killer Bill Moran Southwest style Bowie, made about 8-10 years ago. Here Johnny Perry and Jim Batson study it quietly and in awe.

A couple of handle detail shots, taken quickly under chaotic circumstances - sometimes a lousy picture is better than no picture at all!

The bidding was hot and heavy but in the end Jason Knight won the prize - and what a prize!!! Another quick and dirty shot - but what's a fellow to do? Sure makes me admire those Sports Illustrated photographers.
Old 02-01-2005, 06:32 AM

It was a great show and a great time too! Here's 'my attractive wife' with Rick Dunkerley. (Yup - she bought one of his fancy folders.)

And here she is with Rick Eaton. She sat with Rick Eaton, Shane Taylor and Don Fogg on the plane from Denver to Reno. We couldn't get seats together and I wound up next to some drunk with alcohol comin' out of his skin! She sure enjoyed listening and learning as those guys talked knives. Such was the thin thread that lead me to Rick Eaton's table and ultimately to a certain knife of his..............well, that's another story. Ever seen his work? Incredible stuff! Stay tuned.

And finally, what a pleasure to meet Rich Slaughter (a fellow KN forumite) in person at the Reno show. Rich, you were right - the ribeye at Sterling's was excellent! Check this out - this was dessert - creme brulee with blackberries and topped with a dome-shaped carmelized sugar 'cage.' Yee Haww!

Last edited by Buddy Thomason; 02-03-2005 at 01:25 AM.
Old 02-01-2005, 07:28 AM
Registered

Great pictures, thank for sharing those.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:08 AM
Enthusiast

Buddy - thanks for positng this, it gave me a real taste for the event, images and words are great.

As a collector in a far off land I love to see coverage of the shows, the pieces available there, and to put some faces to names. In fact I like to see it that much i have booked flights to Atlanta in June for my first "real" show

Stephen
Old 02-01-2005, 08:38 AM
Hall of Famer

Thanks Buddy! I really enjoyed this, expecially from the photographers standpoint that you had, very interesting! (but I'm hanging onto my tent )

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 02-02-2005, 07:24 AM
Skilled

Most enjoyable Buddy - thanks for the pics and the commentary. Sounds like you had a great time and picked up some awesome cutlery.

Roger
Old 02-02-2005, 07:51 AM
Enthusiast

Who is the maker of the fixed blade in the Point Seven photo?

Nice photos and writeup. I wish I was there.

Old 02-02-2005, 10:05 AM

Brett,
The bowie in the P7 photo is by Steve Dunn, MS. It features feather pattern damascus, 24k gold inlay (except pins, 18k) and the image I posted is a cheapo scan of the actual photograph. As is often the case the actual photograph, nice as it is, doesn't fully represent the actual knife. Expect further images soon.

A steady stream of big-name table holders in Reno kept coming over to Steve Dunn's table to examine this knife. Jerry Fisk must've asked me three times if I'd seen it yet. Of course this was only one of tons of great knives but, if there had been judging of knives by category, many would've pointed to this knife as a top contender for 'best in show' - which is saying a lot considering the competition.
Old 02-02-2005, 06:15 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy Thomason
And here is a scan of the photograph he's shooting above. Turned out nice!
I think this knife had the prettiest damascus in the entire show, not to mention the engraving.

Could someone tell me how much the Moran bowie went for eventually?

thanks,

JD

Old 02-02-2005, 06:17 PM

My apologies for the bad joke above: "Light tents are for sissys!"

I didn't have a light tent in the hotel room but it's obvious I used something to diffuse the light so I could shoot that folder on the chair. Here's what I used: http://www.photoflex.com/photoflex/index.html

These things are cool - small, light, two sides (white and reflective) and they allow light to pass through as well as bouncing it. I've got one of the small ones and I take it along when traveling lite.

Tags
blade, fixed blade, forge, hunting knife, knife, knives