MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Display Case

The Display Case A place to post your latest knives and creations. Let the Knife Network community see your work first!

Old 12-02-2017, 08:36 PM
Master

Little drop point utility

Was able to get some knife time in and this one is about 90%.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mfong-fixed-carbon-fiber-December 02, 2017-9801.jpg (98.5 KB, 37 views)

Old 12-03-2017, 10:41 AM
Guru

Looks very nice Mike. I like the look of the carbon fiber scales and of course the mosaic pins. I have some carbon fiber scales given to me by Dtec Dave and am thinking they'll go nice on a folder. I've heard the fibers are like fiberglas and can be quite irrating. How did you deal with that?

Cerritos CA eh? I grew up in Norwalk in the one-ways back in the 50's and 60's. Cerritos was Artesia and Dairy Valley, but where the valley was nobody seemed to know.lol

Old 12-03-2017, 03:22 PM

Nice job on the carbon fiber grind! It's hard to keep it looking like an organized woven pattern--gets confused and random looking real easy if your not as careful as you obviously were.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 12-04-2017, 12:24 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmontg View Post
Looks very nice Mike. I like the look of the carbon fiber scales and of course the mosaic pins. I have some carbon fiber scales given to me by Dtec Dave and am thinking they'll go nice on a folder. I've heard the fibers are like fiberglas and can be quite irrating. How did you deal with that?

Cerritos CA eh? I grew up in Norwalk in the one-ways back in the 50's and 60's. Cerritos was Artesia and Dairy Valley, but where the valley was nobody seemed to know.lol
Thanks. I like the ease of working this material. My work method of carbon fiber and G10 is like stone; cut, grind it wet. The black slurry does create some visibility issues so a constant flow of water to clear it is necessary. I wear nitrile gloves because getting it between the fingernails looks pretty bad/black. The slurry rinses off easily enough and cleaning the machines is pretty easy. In this way I've not noticed contact issues with my skin. However it does stain clothes, my work shirts have a vertical splatter trail. LOL.

I've seen pictures of the early days of Artesia and Cerritos. There are no remaining signs this was once cow and pasture land. Some of the old (huge) dairy homes remain but few would know. When mom dad bought this place it was one house over from the cow pasture. I remember the hay stacks, cows, flies and smell. The neighboring land was a strawberry field and chicken ranch. Those were the days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Garrett View Post
Nice job on the carbon fiber grind! It's hard to keep it looking like an organized woven pattern--gets confused and random looking real easy if your not as careful as you obviously were.
Thanks, keeping the lines organized is challenging especially on prior cuts to maximize material efficiency. The twill becomes completely random when rounded over, hard to discern that there is a diagonal pattern at all. I prefer the look of the 1x1 and this LVA type is great. The twill takes to much time to fill in voids or at least my cut is riddled with them.

Tags
back, carbon, carbon fiber, cleaning, drop point, easy, folder, g10, grind, knife, material, mosaic, pattern, pins, scales, stone, utility