MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 01-16-2003, 10:42 PM
Enthusiast

Question Any pointers for a Stockman

Hello everyone!

Well, I decided to up the ante a bit and bought a couple of folder kits from Koval and Knifekits this week.

The first one I'm starting on is a "cinnamon bear stockman" - a real classic three blade folder. I haven't selected the scales yet - but it's neck and neck between African Bloodwood and natural stag - and I was wondering if anyone had suggestions or tips on putting this little folder together before I started and made a mess out of it ;-)

Thanks for all your help!
Old 01-20-2003, 05:24 PM
Enthusiast

Here's a quick follow-up to my original message:

I started work on the new folder this afternoon and ran into problems right away. The kit manufacturere was nice enough to epoxy the bolsters directly to the liners and predrill the pin holes. Unfortunately, they sent me two left side liners. That, or they glued the bolsters onto the wrong side of the right hand liner. Either way, I've got to detach the bolsters and reattach them to the other side.

Meanwhile, I cut the stag antler material and split it for the scales. This went rather well using a hand saw and a Dremel with a cutting disk. Natural bone makes alot of dust, so make sure to wear a dust mask.

Finally, I ordered some "extra" Dymondwood to use as a flat platen for sanding chores. This came in real handy when trying to sand the thin lines of the folder, as well as trueing up the antler slabs.

If ya'll don't mind, I'll keep updating this thread as work on this folder progresses.

Old 01-20-2003, 07:59 PM
Steel Addict

These are harder than most would think. I have only made one and it was an exercise in frustration. Be extra cautious trying to get the spring in place. I am sure there is a trick to it, but I don't know it and ended up popping the epoxy loose. I for one am anxious to see your results.
Dan

Check out my custom pens!
Old 01-22-2003, 05:28 AM
Enthusiast

Well, I was able to remove the improperly placed bolsters with some acetone. Soaked them for 20 minutes each end and encouraged them to come off with a jewelers mallet.

Now, more problems. I can flip the bolsters to the other side - where they should have been in the first place, but they've been stamped on the face that will show. These bolsters are only a little over 3/16" think and sport a very deeply impressed "PB" on the underside of each. By flipping the bolsters over to the other side of the liner I have to mount them with the stamping showing. I think the stamping is too deep to grind off and I don't have anything to fill it with that wont show. Any ideas?

I started work on the blades today. All three arrived with a high mirror polish. And an edge that's a full 1/16" flat. This will take some work. I also noticed that the spey blade is poorly shaped. Looks like it was cut to shape with bolt cutters. The edges are slightly rounded over from the cut job. I'll try to rework the shape on the belt sander today, and save edging until after it's all mounted up.

mark h
Old 01-22-2003, 08:28 AM

Mark-

How deep is the stamp of those letters?...1/64"...1/32"?...couldn't be a whole lot more than that I should think. If you feel the aesthetics/design of the bolsters can't withstand grinding them down that far, how about milling out that area on both sides into a simple circle (using a drill or, even a Dremel) and doing some sort of inlay...maybe pre-fab abalone or Pearl dots from someone like Grizzly or better still, Masecraft. Could turn out to be a very cool answer to a tricky problem.

Then there's always...why not make new bolsters? I recently found out for the first time (on my recently posted snakewood/eagle GX6) that making the bolsters is, at it's worst, a little challenging,...with the help of a drill press, some sort of grinder or Dremel to help shape them down to size (after all, it is steel), and some elbow grease to get them good and flat.

I've never had the pleasure of working with a kit that starts off by handicapping you in such a way...sounds like you're making good progress. Good luck!

Dennis

Yeah Baby!

Tags
blade, knife