MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:22 PM
Master

***** Electrician help required ****

I'm not getting full power out of a 2hp 1750 single phase , with little to no effort I can stop the motor wheel, so my buddy offered to try his, same thing very slow to min power , both 220. When I picked his motor up to try ( as I thought maybe my motor was pooched ) I tried it on his bench to see what power I should expect , his is a 1.5 Baldor 3450, it nearly jumped off the bench when we fed it power, so I believe it may be the wiring to the breaker panel ? the breaker ? I'm no electrician and won't pretend to be , any help is great !!

Thanks
Rob
Old 04-11-2012, 10:32 PM
Enthusiast

First off did you ever have full power or is this a new install ? Next you need to check that you do indeed have 220 volts. Not sure how wiring is done in Canada, but if it is similar to U.S. standard you should have ganged ( handles pinned together)breakers for the 220 line. Pending on who installed the 220 line, someone may have tapped 2 separate breakers. maybe on the same side of the 220. Or one breaker tripped without the other, leaving you with only 115 volt.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:35 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick McGee View Post
someone may have tapped 2 separate breakers. thats what it looks like to me Rick maybe on the same side of the 220. Or one breaker tripped without the other, leaving you with only 115 volt.
thank you for your input
Old 04-12-2012, 08:24 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Your description of what you have, what your buddy has, and whether or not your motor ever worked correctly is very spotty. Start again and try to fill in the blanks. For instance, you said nothing about your motor being variable speed but then you said you applied very slow to minimum power which indicates variable speed.

Is your motor variable speed? If so, is it a DC motor or 3 phase with a VFD?

Is your buddy's motor the same or different?

Did your motor ever work or is it a new install?

Using my crystal ball, I predict you will say that your system is a new install of a DC variable speed motor. My guess is that you need to properly set up the voltage controller. For that you'll need the manual that came with it or the help of a technician at the place where it was purchased...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Tags
art