MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 10-03-2010, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Early Sunday Morning.....

And it's been pretty slow on the forums over the last few weeks. I still have another hour or so before we load up and head to church. I woke about 5:30am this morning, got up, and put a pork shoulder in the smoker....gona have pulled pork at our small group gathering this evening.

OK, so what's been happening with everyone this summer....now that it's just about gone?

As usual my summer went by way too fast. After the Blade Show last June, I had a pretty good summer in the shop, mostly due to folks coming for classes. Knife sales really dipped this summer....guess the economy is still on the slide.....or maybe it's just now working it's way around to us.

Starting this week, I'm gona be getting after it....headed towards the Bosie ID show. Somewhere in there I'll also have to take some time to chase a duck or two.

SO....what's been going on with everyone else?? Are you ready for Winter? (Guess that really doesn't effect you folks in the "south")

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 10-03-2010, 09:51 AM
Skilled

Well, this summer blazed by, and of course there is never enough time. We moved into the new house when it was 80% done. Best laid plans; I'm still negotiating around boxes, though it could have been worse. Big thing was the shop move, which was effortless, I love my tow truck guys.

This is my last year of classes at the CC before I transfer for my Bachelors in Education. So right now I'm doing teacher the observation "thing" and racking up as many "in-class" observation hours as I can to put me ahead of the curve. Currently I'm doing at least 1-2hrs a week in Special Ed, pre-k, K-6, 7-8, 9-12 and I'm assisting with one 4 hr. college art class, on top of the college load and being president of our school's chapter of PTK, the International Honor's Society.

It is my hope to start buttoning up the yard and storage this next week, but everyone's working (like that's a bad thing). I wanted to upgrade the electric in the shop this fall, however that's off the table till spring. I have 110 there already, anyone have a 100' 220 extension cord I could borrow?

J

Old 10-03-2010, 01:16 PM
Master

Hmmm, it's still early Sunday morning out by us. We still have a little of the summer feel around here, winter probably won't kick in for a bit. Had been rainy lately, but there's a lot of blue sky out today.

Summers been kind of a pain. Been down two bodies a work. It's ok, just makes for long after hours catch up with odds and ends. Been thinking more and more about taking a little get away break.

My wife roped the family into a NYC visit this coming Christmas/New Years. Good part is we're visiting our daughter, son in law and our grandson will be around seven months old at the time. Bad news is nothing inside of me is even remotely interested in the cultural experience, but that's just me. It'll be fine, but I'm open to suggestions for good mom and pop diners or one of a kind shops that might be interesting.

Take care, Craig
Old 10-03-2010, 01:22 PM
Skilled

Busy time of year for me. Work is always picking up around this time and bowseason started a couple weeks ago, so my weekends are pretty well booked. Gotta slaughter some cows this month, so I can guarantee there wont be much knife making going on. Plus I still have to build the new workbench. Got the cellar all dry-locked yesterday. Should make it a whole lot brighter down there.

Old 10-03-2010, 05:53 PM
Steel Addict

Most of my summer has been used up dealing with my wifes tumor and resulting eye problem and the surguries to fix them. every spare minute I have had has been spent doing classes or working on knives. getting ready to head for the ABS hammer in at Visalia Ca. to make some tamahagane next weekend.

Old 10-03-2010, 08:13 PM
Skilled

Enjoying the journey, getting ready for the Boise show.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:21 PM
Steel Addict

Summer

Like several others, the spring and summer has flown by for me. Between having to help my wife around the house due to 5 back surgeries, my part time job with the local sheriffs department, and other things I have to take care of around the place, I do not have a lot of spare time to work on knives. I am really ready for cooler weather. Ed, you do not like this Texas summer heat, you really would have not liked this past summer. High temps and very high humidity.

Tags
blade, christmas, knife, knife making, knives