MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fine Embellishment

Fine Embellishment Everything from hand engraving and scrimshaw to filework and carving. The fine art end of the knifemaker's craft.

Old 11-05-2006, 10:13 PM
Skilled

Microscope question.

Awhile back I purchased a boom microscope off of ebay and though it works fine with alot of 'finessing' after seeing Don's and Merle's my husband has decided my eyes are a touch more valuable and doesn't want me using it.

So my question is this- are the bodies of the scope pretty much standard. I know there are adjustment screws the opening on my boom is 2.5". Can I look at a used Meiji Stereo 4.5 Microscope off of ebay and just use that?

Suggestions, comments.

Thanks in advance.

Julie

Old 11-06-2006, 12:09 PM
Steel Addict

The holes in the boom mount for the scope head are not standard. You would be better off having someone who has a Meji measure the hole in their mount to be sure it would fit.

The microscope store has everything a person needs to get the scope and accessories that suit their needs and they're reasonably priced.

microscopestore.com

I bought one from them and am happy with it. What's wrong with the one you have and what brand is it?

Old 11-06-2006, 03:58 PM
Steel Addict

Hi Julie.
The hole to fit the Meiji is roughly 3 1/4 inches. It is not exactly 3 1/4 as its actually
84mm.
Hope this is some help. Best of luck finding a different scope.
John.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:40 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim W

The microscope store has everything a person needs to get the scope and accessories that suit their needs and they're reasonably priced.

microscopestore.com

I bought one from them and am happy with it. What's wrong with the one you have and what brand is it?
Thanks Tim and sorry for being delayed getting back to you. I got my 40x from Bargian microscopes off of ebay. They have good feedbacks but its really not suited for glass wearer use- its fine for working illumination and calligraphy but its field of vision for working is less then I personally care for. I'll probably just slap it up on Ebay and get rid of it.

Does anyone out there use surgical loupes? My 8 yr old had some oral surgery done and her surgeon used a set they seemed wonderful and you aren't tied to a given location. I'd never seen them before they appear pretty swell.

Julie

Old 11-11-2006, 11:59 PM
Steel Addict

I want a pair so I can do my scroll work in a more comfortable posture rather than using an optivisor. That way I can use the scope for really fine work. They are expensive though and a good pair will be $600 and up.

I got a pair off ebay and they work ok in place of the optivisor but they are cheap and heavy and slide off my nose, too bulky with crappy optics. I ain't near about done lookin' for a real pair though...

Old 11-12-2006, 06:50 PM
Enthusiast

Julie,
If you like the microscope you have but want a larger field of vision that can be done by switching you lower objective. That could be done for a much more reasonable sum than a different scope.

Just a thought.

Peter
Old 11-14-2006, 07:54 AM
Steel Addict

Julie:

Peterinct is right. I had purchased a very old Bausch & Lomb Stereo Zoom 4 (10x - 40x), and after taking GRS classes and getting an Acrobat Boom, I got the lower objective lens (on Ebay), and couple of the eyepiece lenses, and basically changed the magnification to match the Meiji scopes GRS sells. Now the depthe of field is greater, and for all of the practial engraving purposes the max. zoom is perfect. I think those mods. cost me about $60, and now the scope is fine.

MG