MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 12-29-2005, 05:17 PM

Ed's Videos

I just want to take the time to thank Ed (and Gene) for making some #### fine videos. Both the Basic Bladesmithing and Basic Damascus videos are packed with info that would have been otherwise unavailable to me. It also shows me again what you can do when you have the right tools!

I've been slow in getting back to knifemaking due to some health problems (mine and others in my life) but Ed's videos have really lit a fire under me!

I'm getting all the materials together for a hydrulic press, air hammer and forge. It will probably take most of the spring and summer to get everything together but what the heck, it's the ride not just the destination.

Bob Sigmon
Old 12-29-2005, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Thanks for the kind words about the videos Bob! You hit the nail on the head...... It's not about the destination......it's about the ride getting there! There are so many things to learn, and so many fine people to meet along the way, that a lifetime of doesn't seem like enough.

I know I've said it before, but I think it deserves repeating..... The Knife Community is full of some of the best folks God ever put on this earth! Kindness, Generosity, and selflessness abound.....I'm very thankful to be a part of it!

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 12-29-2005, 08:05 PM
Living Legend

Bob, don't wait until you get a press to try pattern welding. It can be done with just a hammer and anvil. Yes it takes longer and I have to take a break with each fold but it may be years before a press shows up in my micro-shop. Tonight I will have a 72 layer billet from just nine initial pieces. I just started this morning and did several other projects to.

Every time I saw pattern welding it was with a press either on video or at hammer ins. Some how I got it in my head that you had to use a press so I never got into it. So far I have only attempted up to 7" blades and it is only my arms that limits the lengths/layers.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:57 PM

Yea, I know that it can be done but . . . .

1. Still looking for a good anvil!

2. Still have to build the forge!

3. Need to find a good massage therapist for the days following the forging session

I also have been taking welding classes for the last year and a half, so I kind of want to stretch my new skills. These machines/tools should be a decent test.

I'm sure that I'll try forge welding by hammer but I don't want to have it turn into a bad experience and turn me off to something that should be a wonderful thing.

I've already gotten a nice hydraulic pump and 5hp motor and a line on a good 6in cylinder with a 12in stroke.

I've also gotten a start on the supplies for making the forge.

So things are moving along nicely.

Thanks for the encouragement! It is this kind of response that makes this forum great.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:56 PM
Living Legend

Good luck and be sure to post pics of the press!
Old 12-30-2005, 05:02 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Finnigan
Bob, don't wait until you get a press to try pattern welding. It can be done with just a hammer and anvil. Yes it takes longer and I have to take a break with each fold but it may be years before a press shows up in my micro-shop. Tonight I will have a 72 layer billet from just nine initial pieces. I just started this morning and did several other projects to.

Every time I saw pattern welding it was with a press either on video or at hammer ins. Some how I got it in my head that you had to use a press so I never got into it. So far I have only attempted up to 7" blades and it is only my arms that limits the lengths/layers.
I just finished my first damascus billet by hammer and anvil. It's 72 layers also, and 4.5in long x 4.25in wide x .25in thick. If it wasn't for Ed Caffrey's videos it wouldnt of happened.

I can't wait to get all my pieces in for my press though. It whould of made this 10x easyer. If not 20x.

Last edited by J. Keeton; 12-30-2005 at 05:06 PM.
Old 12-30-2005, 05:45 PM

Jimmy,

Nice Job!! That's one good looking billet!

(resize your pictures, it takes forever for dialup connection to load a big picture, Thanks!)

Bob Sigmon
Old 12-30-2005, 05:56 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sigmon
Jimmy,

Nice Job!! That's one good looking billet!

(resize your pictures, it takes forever for dialup connection to load a big picture, Thanks!)

Bob Sigmon
Sory... I normaly use Imageshack but some reason they arn't working .

Old 12-30-2005, 06:27 PM

No Problem, Jimmy.

I hate when servers aren't doing their job.

Bob

Tags
forge, forging, knife