MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community

Knife Network Community TKN is all about excellence and sharing info. Our 'other' lives are also filled with stories, events, and opinions. This forum is an opportunity to discuss outside interests, personal experience, things that make us happy and things that don't!

Old 06-14-2005, 09:41 AM
Registered

Best metal for hunting knives?

HI All. I'm new to this site and could not figure out which board to post this too, so hopefully I'm doing this right.

I am in the market for a good fixed blade factory knife for deer hunting. I have sort of narrowed my search down to two blades, one from Benchmade and the other from Beretta. The links to both are here:

Benchmade: http://www.benchmade.com/products/pr...aspx?model=190

Beretta: http://www.berettausa.com/product/pr...nives_main.htm

My question is, which of these two have the better steel? The Benchmade is using 440C stainless steel, and the Beretta is using AUS 8. I will be using the knife to field dress and skin deer.

I'm also open to any other suggestions of a good knife from any other company, preferably in the $100 range.

Thanks so much.

-Brad
Old 06-14-2005, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

You're asking a few hundred folks who make knives - some for a living - which factory knife you should choose? :confused: Interesting.

440C and AUS-8 are roughly equivalent. There are some differences in composition that more or less balance out.

Old 06-14-2005, 10:26 AM
Skilled

this site has a lot to do with actually making knives. instead of buying a production knife, check out knifekits.com . buy a kit and make your own hunting knife.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:28 AM
Skilled

Send a message via MSN to chrisinbeav Send a message via Yahoo to chrisinbeav
Both knives you have selected are so-so...

440C is a decent steel with some edge holding capabilities...
AUS8 will take a decent edge but is somewhat durable...
These two are really close to the same...
(http://ajh-knives.com/metals.html) This is a really nice overview of blade steels.

Unfortunatly your link to the Berretta only brought you to the main sight. It didn't point to any specific knife. So, I am assuming you were looking at a comparable Loveless fixed blade.

If you are narrowing your search to only these two blades I would choose the Loveless by Berretta over the Benchmade.

If you are going to broaden your search a bit, you should be able to find a nice ATS-34 bladed knife. ATS-34 has a little better properties and should be relativly close to the same price range.

Chris Nilluka
Old 06-14-2005, 10:48 AM
Skilled

Brad,

Like TJ, et al said: pretty much the same stuff. It boils down to which company does a better job with the heat treatment, grind, edge thickness, ....

S30V, CM-154, ATS-34, D2, BG-42 are all better steels. 440C and AUS-8 are kinda the low-end of stainless.

I'm with Shakudo - make one!

Steve

Old 06-14-2005, 12:25 PM
Guru

I agree with the others.....Make one !

If not then take your money and have a custom maker make you one that will mean more to you in the end and probably get more quality along with handle material of your choice. It says that it has a hardwood handle but a maker will provide you with numerous choices.

Theres quite a few makers in here than can produce a small hunter like that for under $150. Kinda fun to sit around the camp fire telling your buddies how you made the knife or how you had a hand in picking the materials to produce your CUSTOM knife.

Good luck !

Shane

shane@shaneivieknives.com
Old 06-14-2005, 12:45 PM
Registered

Sorry for my ignorance

Hi guys. Sorry for my ignorance, I did not look closely enough at the site to see that it was mainly custom knife making site. I really do appreciate all the info you all have given, despite my insult of asking about factory made knives. Thank-you.

I am going to look into making my own knife. I am a hobbyist wood worker, so hopefully I can do a good job at it. I'm not really good at sharpening, though, but I can practice and learn.

Thanks again.

-Brad
Old 06-14-2005, 01:24 PM
Skilled

there was no insult. look at a few of the other forums here and you will see some production knife forums. the forums here are about information ,education and options. depending on what you decide, you may want to post in the newbies or knifekits forum next time.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:30 PM
Enthusiast

Hey NE Bowhunter

check out the link down below in the custom knives by maker forum, their is one that would fill the bill. Excelent deal!

Last edited by mmunds; 06-14-2005 at 05:13 PM.
Old 06-14-2005, 04:31 PM
Registered

Gene Ingram Knives

Thanks for the education/suggestion about looking into handmade knives. I started doing a search and came across Gene Ingram's knives and just sent him an e-mail. He uses D2 for his knives, with the option of S30V. I explained to him what I needed it for so he will be able to select the best steel for me. Thanks again.
Old 06-14-2005, 04:55 PM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
Welcome to the addiction...

Good to have you on the forums.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 06-14-2005, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator

Knifekits has some outstanding kits that are very affordable! Darrell Ralph is a terrific designer and his knives are designed to be used in the field. There's also tons of info around this network and lots of people willing to answer questions that may come up.

As for knife sharpening, you might want to search around here for some ideas. Practice makes perfect, regardless of the sharpening equipment. I read some great advice years ago - a writer in a hunting magazine suggested that you go into the kitchen and get all the knives in there to practice on. My wife has never caught on to the concept that you SLICE with a knife, not use it as a mini-axe. Hence, there isn't a sharp knife in the drawer unless I get after it. After a few of them, you can sharpen anything.

Oh, one more thing on this same topic: Since your concern is that you want a good sharp knife for hunting and you aren't great at sharpening, you might want to consider steels that are a bit easier to sharpen.

Old 06-17-2005, 09:14 AM
Skilled

Welcome to the forums. If you don't ask, you'll never know.
Old 07-04-2005, 09:49 PM
Enthusiast

Flip a coin on the metals. If you let us talk you into building your first knife, then you can't blame us when you HAVE to build your second, then your third, then the fourth....ect. you have to promise or we won't let you into the club.
Welcome to our world

Larry

Tags
blade, fixed blade, hunting knife, knife, knife making, knives