MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 04-07-2003, 10:50 PM
Enthusiast

Missed it!

Dennis,

I had every expectation of being in Harrisonburg to see some more of your work and to meet and talk with the others, but it was not to be. I'm glad to hear and see that you are continuing to improve your already good knives and I continue to look for more! I have not done much lately as the weather has turned here and I'm spending lots more time outside instead of in my windowless basement workshop. Keep up the good work!

Robert
Old 04-08-2003, 04:06 PM

Hey Bob-

I was a little surprised not to see you there...kept thinking I'd turn around and you'd be standing there with a cup of coffee waiting for me

This show was certainly a heck of a lot more interesting and enjoyable than that horrendous failure...the Richmond KnifeShow!

As to your staying out of the shop...so what does this mean, you won't work on any knives as long as the weather's nice outside? My shop takes up half of my fully finished basement...the only "window" is the double set of sliding glass doors at the other end of this rather large room (I'm guessing approx. 18' X 45'). The blinds are nearly always closed which doesn't much matter as I'm oblivious to my surroundings anyway while working.

Hope all is well with you...I'm keeping an eye out for Your next knife!!!

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!
Old 04-08-2003, 09:36 PM
Enthusiast

next piec

Dennis,

You know me, I barely got everything worked out in my too busy life to get to the Richmond show. Sorry if you didn't get your caffiene jolt.

I've actually done 90% of a new DDR1 that has desert ironwood scales that I got in Richmond at the show. I decided to do a satin finish on the bolsters this time and I like it. have to do the final sanding to fit of the scales to the same height as the bolster (just a few thousandths) and mirror finish the blade (I satin finished it to 600 grit and may leave it, just don't know yet). After that just a light oil finish to the scale, sign the stainless backspine in the tradition of Coop, and it will be a Christmas gift to my daughter's boyfriend. They are very serious (probably a future son-in-law, or I wouldn't give it to him). He's an Eagle Scout, going to Virginia Tech as a Computer Science major, plays lacrosse and treats my daughter with a great deal of respect. He even treats ME with respect. What more could a dad want for his daughter.

The knife making (or maybe the gun cabinet) probably don't hurt with the respect issue, but I think he would be OK anyway.

I'll post some pics as I get closer to done.

I do like to be outside and we had a particularly bad winter which lent itself to lots of shop time. Now that the seasons have changed, I do like to be outside fishing and working on small engines (mowers, outboards, etc.) Can't make any money at that either but you sure have lots of friends needing "favors" when you can do that stuff.

Later,

Robert
Old 04-08-2003, 09:51 PM

Robert, your knife sounds wonderful!

Great gift, great boyfriend-in-law, great attitude. Keep it up.

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??

Tags
blade, knife, knife making, knives