MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:37 PM
Enthusiast

'Nother Nife

Scalper, made for a reinactor friend of mine in Texas

Buffalo leg bone handle, copper ferrule, brass pin, O1 tool steel

Old 06-17-2008, 11:18 PM
Skilled

BM,

I know you said you like to do different styles and please don't take this as anything but a complement and encouragement, but I'm telling you man...you have a real knack for the whole rustic kind of authentic southwestern style thing. You did your friend proud.

Some of your work looks like it could have been found, perfectly preserved of course, in some archaeological dig at the Alamo or Little Big Horn or something.

I REALLY like the direction you are headed.

chiger,

Last edited by chiger; 06-17-2008 at 11:22 PM.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:26 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks!
I'm trying to do as many different styles as I can while I'm learning basic skills and setting up shop. Realizing there are as many different tastes in knives as there are people, I had 2 stamps made with the idea that I would eventually work on 2 different lines. The more "old style" stuff will be somewhat rough, hammer marks and textures left in. That will receive the BMF buffalo skull stamp. I also look at the work of other smiths, and want to be able to produce a very "finished look" with more refined lines, grinds, and the microscopic fit and finish they are able to produce. Those knives I plan to stamp with just my last name... McGuire. I want the quality to be the same for both lines, the best knife I can produce with my current skills. It will be along time, I'm estimating 6 months to 1 year before I will produce a knife that I'll sell to someone. Everything I make now, I keep or give to friends or family with the understanding that it is the best knife I can make today. When I can make a knife that I know will hold up to hard use and meets my standards, I'll be ready to sell them to folks I don't know.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:02 PM
Skilled

BM,

I hear ya. One piece of advice though, unsolicited as it may be. We all start out that way. Making kitchen knives. Making a personal skinner that fits our hand...just the way we like it. Making one to give to your brother. Making your version of a knife you've seen or own, just to see if you can do it better. Almost all makers do it, so your in good company. And here's the advice part, don't get too hung up on time tables or where you are in the learning process and just concentrate on developing your style.

If you are confident in the materials and methods you are using, if the steel is good and if the heat treat and temper is right, you might as well sell knives if someone wants to buy it. If you are like most knife makers, you will NEVER produce a piece that you are 100% happy with. In 30 years, I never have. That's what drives us. There is always the tiniest doubt or something you would do just a touch different if you had it to do over.

When to sell knives is kind of like 'What's a knife worth?' It's worth what you can get for it! When is it time to sell knives? When someone whats to buy one! Till then, I'll bet you have the happiest friends and family around town. Cause you are off to a great start.

chiger,
Old 06-25-2008, 05:26 PM
Hall of Famer

All Chiger said. and most of all enjoy the journey. Nice work by the way.

Tags
knife, knives