MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 12-06-2001, 09:29 AM
MJBain

Advice Please

I am making my first knife out of need. Started with Buck, never stayed sharp, went to Benchmade, sometimes stayed sharp. So here I am with a bar of CruWear. Can ya'll give me some advice on how to work this stuff.

Old 12-06-2001, 11:53 AM
Gary Mulkey

I've not personally worked it but I'll give you the specs. out of my crucible book. It should grind about like D2. Here are the HT specs:

Preheat: 1100-1200 equalize, 1550-1600 equalize.
High heat: 1850-2050, soak 20 minutes.
Quench: Salt, air or positive pressure to below 150F
Temper: 900-1050F (should temper as soon as is cooled down below 150F. Temper 2 hours. Double temper mandatory & triple recommended.
Old 12-06-2001, 04:20 PM
MJBain

Thanks. I plan to have Texas Knifemaker's supply HT the blade. Would Cryo dip be of notable benefit to CruWear?
Old 12-06-2001, 07:30 PM
Gary Mulkey

When I talked to Bruce DiVita of Crucible he talked liked cryo would be of help on Crucible steels but I didn't ask specifically about Cru-Wear. I'll defer to the experts on this one.

Gary
Old 12-06-2001, 08:14 PM
Raymond Richard

Advice

Hey Gary, did Bob run that vacuum line out to you? On the cru-ware. If you haven't made a knife before your going to have a real battle with the cru-ware. I've worked it once with A/O belts and I was lucky to get one side ground with a 50 grit belt. As for the cryo goes its just going to make the steel that much harder to sharpen. Its supposed to be great holding an edge buy its a challenge to put one on it. Good Luck, Ray
Old 12-07-2001, 09:05 AM
MJBain

Thanks again. Don't mind the battle if the edge will stay where I put it. No pain no gain.
Old 12-07-2001, 10:27 AM
Bob Warner

I KNEW I should have deleted that post!

No lines run yet.
Old 12-07-2001, 11:57 AM
Raymond Richard

Please.......

Bob, wish I knew how to work this here computor better, if I did I'd put the yellow laughing ball on it....Ray
Old 12-07-2001, 12:41 PM
Gary Mulkey

Bob,

I picked up a compressor off of an old refrigerator to use for a vacuum pump so I guess I won't need the 2hp line. Thanks anyway.

Gary
Old 12-07-2001, 04:30 PM
Bob Warner

GREAT!!!!!!

Ray,

Like this? :

Just click on the emoticons link to the left of your message and type the characters next to the face you want.
Old 12-07-2001, 07:53 PM
Raymond Richard

Re:Advice

Bob, thanks for the advice, thats the one except I like him rollin. :rollin: ... This is so cool... :cool: ... I can't remember the last time I learned something new. I can't tell if the rollin one is laughing or not but it looks like its having a good time. Ray

Tags
blade, knife