MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 07-24-2002, 04:10 PM
Guru

Bladesmiths Under Glass

Now, I'm not suggesting that anyone change their posting habits, clean up their language, wear socks, or quit smoking.

Just be Aware...
http://www.ckdforums.com/showthread....&threadid=8155

That is all.

Hammer on!
Old 07-24-2002, 04:29 PM
Misternatural?

That's cool, but it won't change what I say.
Old 07-24-2002, 05:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to J.Arthur Loose Send a message via Yahoo to J.Arthur Loose
Bro,

More people need to hear the Irreverent Reverend Misternatural and the Tribe of Tenacity.

Don't nobody change nuthin'.

jloose.com

Old 07-24-2002, 08:50 PM
Guru

If you can read...

I clearly said I'm not asking anybody to change anything.

I am saying, that whatever we do and say will likely have a wider impact on the knife-loving community that reads the magazine. That can be good or bad, humorous or serious. My point, the only point I was trying to make, is that more people might be looking at what we do. I would like to see the Outpost crowd represent itself as a knife-loving community of people, ready to give great information without a second thought. It's my observation that lately there's been an awful lot of rhetoric about methodic superiority, mysticism, religion and other things that may interest us, but don't necessarily build up the knife making community at large.

If that's not our mission, then I guess I'm mistaken. All I'm trying to communicate is that *I think* we have a community responsibility to represent our way of knifemaking as a good thing, not a place to avoid (as some already do). That's all. Not picking on anybody, 'cause lord knows I've been in on a couple of derisive discussions myself.

Just a heads up, that's all.

Hammer on!
Old 07-25-2002, 08:16 AM
Misternatural?

Magazines

If it sells magazines, and I'm sure it will... they will love it.
Old 07-25-2002, 02:43 PM

Good Point

Chris, your point (s) in this thread are well taken. It would do us well to remember that we are guests here. When the previous Outpost forum crashed, Alex generously offered us a home here. Since then he has put up with a lot from us, with no interference and also at no charge whatsoever. He took a risk to his reputation to give us this forum, and has basically given us free reign. He's put it on the line for us, and it's our responsibility to do him well in return. It's the least way we can say "thanks."
Old 07-25-2002, 02:47 PM
Misternatural?

Nobody loves bladesmithing more than me me me!
Old 07-25-2002, 03:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to J.Arthur Loose Send a message via Yahoo to J.Arthur Loose
Well,

You guys have until late October to get your act cleaned up!!!!!

jloose.com

Old 07-25-2002, 04:45 PM
Misternatural?

I hope that's enough time.
Old 07-25-2002, 10:50 PM
Hall of Famer

sweep,sweep,sweep,scrap,sweep,sweep

Old 07-25-2002, 10:52 PM
Guru

Clarity

Please allow me to clarify what I was thinking...

We, this forum, and everything we put on it are ambassadors to our collective way of making knives. There's been much discussion as to the merits of said "way", but nevertheless, what we do and say here will affect the opinions of new readers.

What impression do "we" want them to walk away with? Is the Outpost a cool place to learn different, out-of-the-box, controversial, and approachable ways of knifemaking?

---OR---

Shall we leave the impression that this is merely another place on the internet to argue my way vs. your way, my way or the highway, we're better than you, and all that other crap that's found in so many many places in cyberspace?

IT IS MY HOPE that we, as a community of people passionate about out work, can rise above that and properly represent ourselves in a professional way. While some of us, myself included, are pure hobbyists, I don't see why we should mess things up for the true professionals that make a living from knifemaking by leaving a sour taste in the mouth of the first time reader of the Outpost.

This is about respect for those who take this seriously.

My favorite TV chef, Emeril Lagasse, when confronted by the audience about a technique or ingredient, often hollers out "get your own show!"

Don't like what's going on at the Outpost? Get your own forum. Tai and Tim have already done that, and run their own discussions their own way there.

I just want to see the Outpost represent itself the way I think most participants see it: a community of knifemakers, sharing information on knifemaking techniques, shortcuts, ancient history, all things related to the craft. Not chest thumping, slurs, bigotry (to use Dana's word) or anything else that seriously starts to detract from the central focus of what we do. I don't mind wandering conversations, but this place has just been getting silly lately.

I'm going to bed now.

Hammer on!
Old 07-25-2002, 11:52 PM
Misternatural?

O.K... I see where it's going. It's cool. I'll be around to see what happens. I'll take a break from my stirring job and mozy back to my spot and meditate on it for a while.

"Big wheels keep on turning."
Old 07-26-2002, 12:19 AM
Misternatural?

I think I still have a suit and tie stashed around here somewhere. If I could only find it. As long as I have my little sandbox to play and get dirty in, I guess I'll be alright. You guys wouldn't recognize in a suit.
Old 07-26-2002, 01:20 AM
Misternatural?

To tell you the truth, I put that suit away a long time ago. I doubt I'll ever find it. You guys might have to play "The game" without me. I'm sure there will be plenty of gents with nicer suits than mine anyway.
Old 07-26-2002, 07:39 AM
Hall of Famer

Chris makes sense to me. COurse some of this stuff is tongue in cheek, and a way of blowing off steam. Some of us are just steamed more than others

Tai in a Tie???

How bout just a clean shirt

Tags
blade, forge, forging, knife, knife making, knives