MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 02-24-2016, 08:44 AM

How should I heat my shop in Ontario Canada

Some time in the next couple of years I will be building my first shop that is not in the basement. I am thinking of a 20 X 40 shop with various rooms for different activities. I was wondering what the best way to heat the shop would be. My biggest concern is fire, with the dust and accumulated mess that I create I really don't want to have the shop explode on me. I want to maintain an above freezing temperature at all times. I know this means heating an empty shop most of the time but it is worth it to me. I will have electrical or propane available at the building. Cost is always a concern but I am willing to pay for my comfort. I make knives as a hobby right now but hope to turn it into a retirement project sometime in the next ten years.
Thanks for the help.
Steve

Old 02-24-2016, 10:36 AM
Master

I'm in the same boat Stephen, but propane and electricity will cost a fortune to heat in your current -30 degree weather, especially a shop that size ........put a good wood stove in there.....that's what I'll be doing , the forge only takes the chill off in mid Jan !!!

Old 03-19-2016, 09:54 PM
Registered

Brother the most efficient way of heating a shop in the cold ambient temps you'll have there is to put in a in the floor heating system. The ones I have had installed were water based systems, so you basically had a burner heating water that was circulated through pipes laid in the concrete floor of the building. They make electrical systems as well, check them both out during your planning for your shop.
Old 03-20-2016, 07:14 AM
Skilled

Steve,

A couple of thoughts...
There is a local auto repair shop that has a heater mounted above a large oil reservoir and it burns used motoroil. I alway thought it was a very ingenious system to make good use of the used oil. Don't know what it cost to build or even if it's available to you.

I really like the floor system Fish mentioned with a radiant heat system using a gas or electric water heater; you could suplement that system with a solar collection box on the roof (a series of tubing run in a box painted black), or maybe even using a geothermal well? (Probably too expensive)

Please let us know what you decide, Good luck.

"We shall walk with a walk that is measured and slow,
And watch where the chalk-white arrows go
To the place where the sidewalk ends." Shel Silverstein

Last edited by ATalley; 03-20-2016 at 07:19 AM.

Tags
auto, build, building, burner, cold, electrical, fire, forge, heat, hobby, knives, make, project, repair, shop, wood