MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:45 PM
Steel Addict

Nephew didn't show up to give me welding lesson. Like that's a big surprise. I am still going to go forward. Going to look for stove pipe tomorrow and order from Ellis. I will keep you guys informed.

Thanks
Cal
Old 02-05-2009, 08:38 PM
Steel Addict

How much satanite do I need? Do I need the ITC 100? How many bricks for the bottom? Gonna be 14 inches long with 1 inch insulation for each end so it would be 12 inches interior.
Also, what size fire brick? Got lots of questions. Hope you don't get tired of me.

Thanks
Cal
Old 02-05-2009, 09:23 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Get 5 pounds of Satanite. You won't near that much now but for later you'll want it. Besides, you'll need to re-coat from time to time.

Two bricks will do it but he can ship , I don't recall, about 7 for the same price so a few extras wouldn't hurt ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 02-06-2009, 04:58 AM
Steel Addict

Do I need 1 inch bricks? Also, do I need the ITC 100?
Thanks
Cal
Old 02-06-2009, 08:35 AM

Yes, 1" bricks. The ITC-100 is a performance enhancer, it is especially useful if you are trying for the maximum heat your forge will produce or if you don't have enough burner for the size forge you built. I think it's supposed to add about 200 F to the temperature and it helps your propane last a little longer.

So, since you are buying Ellis' burner and building a small forge and because ITC-100 is expensive I think I'd pass on it for your first forge. I used it at first on my larger forge but discovered that my forge is more than hot enough without it (but I have two forced air burners).

Which burner are you buying and which regulator?

Old 02-06-2009, 10:23 PM
Steel Addict

I was figuring on getting the venturi burner kit and 0-30 PSI Regulator and assembly. Is that what I should get? Do I need more than one burner for and 8 inch forge that is 14 inches long? I got questions. You have answers I haven't been able to do anything today. Wind is blowing 30 miles an hour out of the south and my asthma is choking me to death. It is better this evening.
Old 02-07-2009, 09:21 AM

That's about the maximum size forge you could effectively heat with one venturi. According to Ellis, his burner is adequate for about 350 cubic inches. With insulation in place so that you have a 6" diameter interior your forge will have about 395 c.i. That should still be fine for heat treating and forging but probably not all you could hope for on welding. In that event, you might add the ITC-100 or reduce the interior size of the forge with another layer of wool or add a second burner . Anyway, it's a good enough place to start. It can always be modified later ....

Old 02-07-2009, 10:14 AM
Steel Addict

Be aware if you buy the kit there is a little more than assembly required. It isn't that bad. but you will need a 1/4-28 tap and a few more tools than just a pipe wrench to screw the parts together. It suprised me when I got it, but I did fine.
Old 02-07-2009, 05:17 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks for the warning Suicycle.

Cal
Old 02-08-2009, 08:29 AM
Skilled

Don't worry about it Cal, anyone who makes fishing lures will not have a problem. By the way if you have not ordered anything yet you might want to really look close at the forced air burner instead of the venturi. Venturi are fine but I am learning that you have allot more control with the forced air burner.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:36 PM
Steel Addict

Haven't ordered yet. Still scratching my head trying to figure out what for sure. Where would I get a blower. I looked at some blowers I googled. Didn't know what size. Also, a lot of those that I thought (newbie thinkin ) were well over a hundred dollars. Any one know of a cheap but good blower at the right size?

Thanks
Cal
Old 02-08-2009, 05:48 PM
Hall of Famer

Got a shop vac, just be sure you attach the hose on the back side and you've got a blower. I got my blower off Ebay. It seems every time I got a lead on one of those online discount electrical places, the blower that I was told about was gone. I think that I payed $50 on ebay and all I need to get in addition to it was a switch, a box, and a board to mount it on. I also had to make a ground wire to run from the frame of the blower to the switch but there was enough excess wire on the motor to use for that. You might also be able to get a used but workable blower from a clothes dryer at a repair shop. A vacuum cleaner repair shop might also have a salvaged blower that you could addapt.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:37 PM

The Surplus Center had some for $20 that were good enough. It's really difficult to say which blower will work and which won't because most blowers don't carry the ratings in the terms we need. For instance, a blower that can move about 100 cfm is generally more than enough but some blowers rated at 400 cfm won't do the job. The reason is that not only does the blower have to move 100 cfm but it has to do it against a certain amount of resistance. That's why shop vacs, hand dryers and the like are usually good - you know they can push air pretty hard. The down side is they are very noisy.

So, get a blower that looks like it's built to work and it will likely get you by. Or, spend $125 and get a professional unit from that outfit that sells air hammers. If you decide to go this way, I'll find the name of that outfit for you.

Even that price may not be the problem you think it is. The reason is that the rest of the burner is pretty cheap if you build it yourself. Look at Ellis' forced air burner, and look at my forced air burner on my large forge. They are identical because they are both the Claiborne burner. These burners are made exactly as they appear to be made. There is no hidden, internal parts like orifices or anything else. The are made from a couple of pieces of 1" pipe, a piece of 2" pipe, a 2" gate valve, a 2" to 1" reducer, and a small ball valve. It's all available at any hardware store and you can put it together with your bare hands. You'll need that same tap as used with the venturi burner to put a hole in the 2" pipe where the propane goes in. The blower attaches to the open end of the 2" pipe, you can use duct tape if necessary (I used a flexible rubber hose and some clamps). That's all there is to it and one of those burners will run circles around two of those venturis .....

Tags
blade, forge, forging, knife, knife making, knives