MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 04-18-2002, 08:04 AM
blckbear

Re: re: beginner knifemaking contest

OK, I'll another 2 cents of mine in.

Chris I don't know about you but as a Newbie there is no way I can complete a knife anywhere near as fast as a lot of the professionals. I think it is a great concept and I believe that there are a lot of mentors that would like to do that, but I for one would feel even more pressured to try to keep up with a pro.

I like the auction idea; I guess we would have to figure out a guidline for pictures for judging as well too.

just more of my 2 cents
Mike
Old 04-18-2002, 08:17 AM
BCB27

Guys,

I got off on a bit of a tangent. I didn't mean to imply that full-time makers be paid for their participation in this contest, as it would be on a voluntary basis. I just wanted to remind everyone that some makers provide a living by knifemaking, and that they shouldn't expect too much from them without compensation.
I wouldn't expect a 'newbie' to keep up with a more accomplished maker. At least not on identical knives.

Dan (and all),

Some great ideas.
In order to properly define 'newbie' (for the purpose of this contest), we might be best served by finding out who wants to participate and define it accordingly. It may be necessary to have two or more categories based on experience. In general, I think that someone that has never made a knife wouldn't fair well against someone who has made five, for instance. There is a great learning curve in those first several knives.
I like the idea of judging based on fit, finish, and construction. As such, I think forged and stock removal knives could be judged together. Also, I don't think we would need to limit it to fixed blades.
I think the HT can be done by an outside source, but all construction needs to be accomplished by the maker.
I think the entry fee idea could be voted on by participating makers. I think proceeds should go towards prizes.
I think the judging panel could be made up of both makers (not otherwise involved in the contest) and collectors. I'd hate to see the knives mailed several times, but a meeting point (show) may be harder to schedule.
Time limit-maybe 4 months.
Just my thoughts.

Brett

Old 04-18-2002, 08:54 AM
cajun bones

Mike,

No, what I meant was that because there needs to be a cut-off time, both can walk away with a knife of their own. There's no way I could keep up either. I'm as slow as they come.

Chris
Old 04-18-2002, 09:01 AM
ghostdog

Brett you raise some good thoughts. I would like to no toss in my nicles worth.

I like the sound of category based on knives made.

I think there should be a time limit on the knife, and not a long time limit either. Make it life like with a bit of pressure (beginning maker second sale, customer in a hurry).

If finish is to be a criteria it should be well defined. A neo-tribal maker has a different outlook than say a follower of Loveless.

And I agree, forged and stock removal as separate categories.

Winner of each category gets all the knives in his/her category.

ghostdog
Old 04-18-2002, 09:03 AM
Bob Warner

You could define the limits of a "Newbie" and the limits of the project.
Why not avoid limiting the "Mentor" other than to say all work must be completed by the "Newbie"?

In my case, I can help people over the phone, e-mail, this forum or at my shop. I really don't care how I help. However, I only want visitors on Saturday. Any Newbie looking for a mentor can pick his mentor from a list of volunteers but must live within the predefined "Rules" imposed by that mentor. If someone can only spend Wednesdays working on their project, they should pick a person other than me as their mentor.
Unfortunately not everyone lives close to a mentor or maybe they can't afford to spend hours on the phone with one but there is always e-mail.

If the Mentor predefines the rules for working with him, you can bet you will not be interfearing with his putting food on the table.

I think having the Newbie pay for the materials is a good idea because like knifemaking in general, you must work within your means and produce the best you can with what you have, or can afford to purchase.

The auction is a great idea but why not give the "Kitty" to the winner so he can buy a piece of shop equipment? We are, after all, promoting knifemaking so the "Kitty" should somehow also promote knifemaking.

Just another .02
Old 04-18-2002, 09:04 AM
Suruga

I.. sort of asked this before, but not precisely.

I'd be willing to participate, but I'm not fond of the idea of having a "sponsor" in an official sense. I tend to muddle through things myself with the input of as many resources as I can drag together.. most of my relationships with Established Professionals consist of loose correspondance with "so, how's the practice going?" "oh it's okay here's a picture, what do you think?" being the general rule. It's just how I work, and what my time allows, and I'd be comfortable entering something with minimal input from others even if everyone else participating somehow managed to go as far as working side-by-side with a professional for the construction of theirs. So.. would "sponsors" be absolutely necessary, and indeed what does that even mean as long as the newbie is supplying their materials and so forth themselves?

Probably, that made no sense.

Must.. get coffee.
Old 04-18-2002, 10:24 AM
Tangus

I think the idea of a "sponsor" is a decent idea for those newbies that would want to use their services. There are some of us (myself included) that are normally either in an area to where there isn't an experienced maker to visit, or (like me) do most of my research through archives and then push forward and work it out myself.

For those that would like to have a sponsor, maybe have just a maker "pool" of those makers that volunteer to take specific info for this contest?

In short, I guess the sponsor idea is for those that seek it. (another 2 cents spent)--
Old 04-18-2002, 12:33 PM
MJHKNIVES

My shop has always been open to those needing help. If anyone participating in this, lives near me(doubtful), drop on by.
If that is not possible, I will always be willing to converse by email or phone.
On a final note, you newer makers ought to drop on by the paltalk, knifemakers and knife collectors voice/text chat. There are always experienced knifemakers there, willing to help. After all, thats what it is there for.
Instructions on how to get there can be found on the paltalk forum, at the end of the CKD forum list.
Old 04-19-2002, 06:19 PM
Suruga

So.. count me in, I guess, if this ever gets off the ground (and if somehow I can do anything to help get it off said I'll be happy to help). A nice respite from forging awls for friends who don't seem to know how short 2 inches really is.
Old 04-26-2002, 11:48 AM
Tangus

did this idea die on the vine?
Old 04-26-2002, 12:00 PM
beachtrader

I would be interested. It would provide some motivation for me to do some things.
Old 04-26-2002, 02:12 PM
Lamnia Artifex

NO

It mot certainly did not die Tangus. I forced myself to stay away from this idea for 10 days, not even coming in to see what people said. When I posted this it was just a loose idea. But with the thoughts and oopinions formed by you without any nudging by me I can better see how people stand with my idea. The sponsor idea, was just that, an idea. And as for the prize, winner of category gets knives, buy-in money, auction, or charity auction all sound good. I'd think an all around auction with a percentage of the earnings going to the winner would be good. Also the organization needs to be sectioned at least somewhat. Due to makers ideas on what is a good blade, or something I think representatives of the method of formation would be important. Like forge people judge forged knives... Also, I am uncertain how we should section styles. Should all styles and types be in a pot, only determined on whether they were ground or forged? That seems too awkward, I mean how do you compare a stilleto folder with a bowie? Kinda hard, they are may for different uses, applications, and are both useful in different situations. Thanks all for the input, i'm afraid my post is going to bring up more questions than I answered.
Old 04-28-2002, 08:54 PM
SShepherd

wow

Sheesh ! are there any smiths in Michigan that wouldn't mind a person with a stong back and a weak mind, peeking over their shoulder ? I shure would like to find one...this forum helps alot, but there's nothing like OTJ training.
Old 04-28-2002, 11:05 PM
ghostdog

Re: NO

Lamnia, see I pronounced it right again .

Personally I think if you are going to have this kind of contest, you have to keep it as simple as possible. I would suggest that everybody has to make the same style knife. If this turned into a good thing run it again, possibly a little more involved the second time around.

ghostdog
Old 04-29-2002, 06:18 AM
Bob Warner

Re: NO

Run it kinda like the "Iron In The Hat" that the Neo Trobal guys do, just don't trade the final product. Have it judged instead.

Tags
blade, forge, forging, knife, knives