MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 12-11-2006, 12:13 PM
Hall of Famer

Smile Another Newbie KITH???

I was looking back at this old thread (How many newbies are there? http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=39124) and counted about a dozen of us here that are Newbies, and a few more that have been posting on the Kitchen or Christmas KITH threads.

So, I am wondering, how much interest is there in starting another Newbie KITH? A bunch of you guys did this a year ago about this same time. I had to drop out of last year's because of some personal business to take care of, but thought it would be fun.

For those of you who are not familiar with a KITH: From what I've read on this site, KITH stands for Knife In The Hand. Basically, it's a knife exchange. You make a knife, send it off to someone else drawn at random, and meanwhile someone else will send you a knife they've made. It is a chance for you to do your best work, have it critiqued by someone else, and a chance to get someone elses' work and compare to yours. Background info on a KITH can be found here: http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=17333
Old 12-11-2006, 01:36 PM
Skilled

I was hoping someone would bring this up. If you get it pulled together count me in! And it will be a newbie knife, probably the second or third I will make from scratch. So yea count me in!

"Live so that your friends can defend you but never have to" - Arnold H. Glascow
Old 12-11-2006, 02:55 PM
Hall of Famer

Jayson,

Well you and me make 2, so even if no one else wants to join in I'll swap knives with you!!

Nathan
Old 12-11-2006, 03:03 PM
Skilled

Sounds like a plan!

"Live so that your friends can defend you but never have to" - Arnold H. Glascow
Old 12-11-2006, 06:43 PM
Skilled

Got any ideas for dead line, guidelines, or any of the other stuff that goes into a KITH? I was thinking that since the holiday is so near we might want to make the cutoff date around the first or second of the year. As far as knife specs I'm up for just about anything other than a sword, maybe a 10" OAL? What do you think?

Old 12-11-2006, 06:53 PM
Hall of Famer

Given that the holidays are upon us, and I typically only get to work on knife stuff 1-2 hours a week when it's not the holidays, I wasn't even thinking of starting until the beginning of next year. Last year's newbie KITH started in January and finished in May, giving enough time for everyone to make a knife and a few mistakes in between.

How does this sound: Finished knife due end of April. A knife made by any method (stock removal or forging) as long as it's your own work (but you may send out for heat treat). No kits, no catalog blades. Sheath is optional. Any length up to 10 inches, any style. (We did have one Australian participant who couldn't receive his knife last year because of their customs laws, so we might have to keep that in mind.)

What do you think? We can modify these as more people (hopefully) jump on board.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:01 PM
Skilled

Sounds good to me. I'm already started thining of a blade at work. Had to stop myself though because it kept getting bigger.

Old 12-11-2006, 07:27 PM
Steel Addict

i would love to get in on this. however i am still only making kits, it will be another couple of years before i try my hand at knives from scratch.
if you guys would be ok with it i would love to get in on it.
i just dont want anyone feeling like they got the nasty end of the stick if you know what i mean.......let me know either way, thanks guys.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:23 PM
Skilled

I honestly don't have a problem with kit's however Nathan started this so I guess the final decision is up to him.

As an aside. I wouldn't think you would have to wait 'years' to make your own. You can get bar stock for a little of nothing. That and a bastard file and you can make a very good knife (see Wayne Godard's the $50 Knife Shop). I made my first kit in August of this year, I just got finished with the rough grind on my first blade from scratch this evening. OK I did sell my XBox 360 to by a Grizzly grinder but there are several guys on here who make there own blades with the much cheaper 1x30's or even 4x36's both of which you should be able to pic up for under $50. And files work exceptionally well too and have for centries. Try getting a hold of a copy of How to Make Knives by Loveless, there is a section in the back about using absolutely no power tools and that knife turned out awesome.
Besides Derek, I've seen your work, I definately think you are ready. Sorry to ramble on like that. A little pumped because I got to play with my knew grinder tonight (had to work this weekend). So what do you say Nathan?

Old 12-11-2006, 08:38 PM
Hall of Famer

Talking

Derek,

We'd love to have you. But admit it. You REALLY want to make a knife completely all your own. If you are making kits, chances are you have enough equipment to make your own knife without waiting a couple more years.

Here's what I'm using to make my knife: a hacksaw, a Dremel, an electric hand drill, a random orbital sander, 10" flat mill bastard file, an 8" half-round file, a round chainsaw file, a bench vice, a C-clamp, and various grits of wet/dry emory paper. I have a 4x36 belt/disc sander that will help shape the handle, but that and the random orbital sander aren't necessary, they just save time. I plan to send out for heat treat since I'm using stainless. Almost forgot some other pieces of equipment--pencil and paper to sketch out my knife designs, scissors to cut out the idea I like, and permanent marker to trace the knife outline onto the blade stock. Chances are you have most of these tools, if not, you can get them at a local hardware store for a lot less than a grinder. It will take you longer than those who have the belt grinders, but it can still be done.

I got my ATS-34 from Admiral Steel, about $35 for a 36"x1.5"x1/8" piece by the time you include shipping. A good quality stainless kit will cost you about that, and going this route you'll have steel left over for your second or third knife. 440C is just a little less, and if you really want to save money go with one of the high carbon steels like 1095. If you don't want to do you're own heat treat, that's okay because there are places that will heat treat for you for a small fee.

Check out the knifemaking tutorials here in the Newbie forum. Here's one of the first ones I saw a couple of years ago that convinced me to leave kits and do a knife of my own: http://hossom.com/tutorial/jonesy/
Old 12-11-2006, 08:50 PM
Hall of Famer

Jayson,

Looks like we're on at the same time! Don't consider this MY KITH. I'll organize it, but whatever we do will be based on the concensus of whoever wants to join in. There's been a bunch of people with interests in knifemaking that have joined the forums here that are new, and I'd really like this to be an opportunity for those guys to jump in and try making a knife from scratch. A lot of them have expressed a desire to do so, if not now then "someday." If someone wants to stay in their comfort zone and make a kit, it's okay with me if it's okay with everyone else.

For any of you guys reading this, this KITH is not about making the perfect knife. It's about having fun and getting help from your peers while making your first knife. Or if not your first, at least developing your skills to make a better knife. Heck, I don't care if the knife I receive looks like a sharpened crow bar jammed onto a corn cob handle, as long as the person who made it tried their best at it and learned something in the process.

If you are reading this, and are a newbie to knifemaking, or have never made a knife from scratch but have always wanted to, this is an opportunity to try it out.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:55 PM
Steel Addict

You can count me in too
Old 12-11-2006, 09:03 PM
Hall of Famer

Terrific guys, we're getting the ball rolling now! And then there were four. . .five. . .

Here's the list so far:

armory414 (Nathan)
JediOkie (Jayson)
Derek Parker
Doc Hollywood
Doug Lester

Last edited by NJStricker; 12-11-2006 at 09:18 PM.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:05 PM
Skilled

Got my 1084 out tonight, cut to 10" and squared it off. Will work on the design tomorrow. Won't say it will stay 10" but it started off life that way. Thinking I'm going to wait and see if my bonus comes in as good as last year and I might try to throw some extra special stuff on this one.

Derek if you feel more comfortable doing a kit knife, I would be honored to carry one of yours.

Old 12-11-2006, 09:15 PM
Hall of Famer

Smile Re: another Newbie KITH

I had to back out of the last KITH I was in. I'd love to have another go.

Doug Lester

Tags
blade, fixed blade, forge, forging, knife, knives