MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 02-18-2003, 10:16 AM
Enthusiast

5 inch bore X 8 Inch stroke hydraulic cylinder for $99.99

I started collecting material for a press and ran across a good deal on cylinders.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...categoryId=425

The best part was that the local Northern retail store ordered one for me (It took about 2 weeks but No shipping cost). The one i got looks good, i havnt tried it out yet.

Thanks
Gary (pupandcat)
Old 02-18-2003, 10:19 AM
Living Legend

Get to welding and taking pictures.

You will like having a press.

Tumbling down the road at 35 MPH is no fun, TRUST ME!
Old 02-18-2003, 10:53 AM
Guru

What kind of pump does it take for these cylinders? I've looked at a lot of cylinders at tool companies and ebay, etc. Is there a standard pump that can be used universally? If you have a double action cylinder, does this change the pump requirements?

Old 02-18-2003, 01:28 PM
Living Legend

Double acting requires a different operating valve but not a pump. I use a two stage 11GPM pump for mine.

Old 02-18-2003, 08:21 PM
Skilled

Hi Bob

What HP motor do you use with your 2 stage pump, and what pressure are you using on the low flow/high pressure stage?

Thanks
Brian
Old 02-18-2003, 09:12 PM
Living Legend

The motor is a 5HP 230V 1725RPM.

The two stage pump operates by pumping 11 gpm when there is no load. This moves the bore fairly fast. When resistance is met, the pump internally changes and delivers higher pressure to meet the resistance. You don't even notice the change.

My entire system is rated at 2500PSI if I remember correctly.

Here is a little info about my press
http://www.warnerknives.com/xhydraulic_press.htm

Old 02-19-2003, 12:17 PM
Enthusiast

Pump noise??

Bob
The two presses that i have seen in operation used pumps driven with 3450RPM motors and were very noisy.

Is your pump running at 1725 noticably quieter? (Assuming you have been around one at 3450 rpm)

I am still trying to decide which way to goas far as HP, single or two stage pump and RPM.

Thanks
Gary (pupandcat)
Old 02-19-2003, 12:38 PM
Living Legend

OK, That post got me thinking so I went out to the press. It is 3450rpm (been a while since I built it). Yes, it is very noisy. My dogs take off when I fire it up.

As for Horse Power of your motor, when I was looking at all of this I compared what I wanted to log splitters at the local Northern Tools store. I would look at those tools and compare engine horsepower to the size of the cylinder it was pushing.

Then I got lucky, a friend had a 25 ton log splitter that he just bought. He fired it up and it ran great for about three minutes. Then the engine blew. Turns out that the engine did not have any oil in it. He went back to the store and after many rounds of fighting with them he agreed to buy another one for 50% off and he kept the dead one.

I traded a knife for the components, cylinder, pump and valve (he kept the rest). I then built the press and assembled the components, made the tank, got new hoses and was ready for the motor. I called a place here in Dallas that builds hydraulic components and asked a forman my questions. He basically said that you could run the press with a fractional horse power motor but it would not do a good job. He recommended the largest HP motor I could get that was equal to or lower than the HP of the gas engine. The gas engine was 7 or 8HP (don't remember but it was bigger than 5HP) so I bought at 5HP electric motor and hooked it up.

I am VERY satisfied with this setup.

Last edited by Bob Warner; 02-19-2003 at 12:48 PM.
Old 02-19-2003, 12:55 PM
Hall of Famer

two stage cylinder will have a power both directions.single stage cylinder is what they use on dumpbeds and the like where weight brings the cylinder back down. If you want fast you want two stage.

Plans for Batsons can be had on wwwdfoggknives.com if you don't know how to set up the control circuit. my.02

Old 02-19-2003, 01:25 PM
Living Legend

I recommend a double acting cylinder, this makes the operation of the cylinder easier for me due to the way I operate my valve. Hands free valve operation is recommeded because I like having control of hot steel. I am not favorable to trying to control steel with one hand and operate the press with the other. I designed mine with a foot control.

Old 02-20-2003, 09:53 AM
Hall of Famer

Wish my arm, wrist, and hand were bothering me as much a couple months ago as they are now. It may have jogged my brain a little so I would have bought a an old fire wood spliter for dirt cheep. Is this called hind site?

Old 02-20-2003, 09:59 AM
Living Legend

Ray,

That is called a BUMMER.

Old 02-25-2003, 01:21 AM
Steel Addict

DRAWINGS FOR BUILDING HYDRAULIC PRESS

Hey guys, I see you are flooding Bob with questions, Re: Hydraulic press constuction. Well ask and you shall have!!!

Bob has completed his drawings on ,
HOW TO BUILD A HYDRAULIC PRESS
I have seen these drawings and they are great. They are very clear and precise and are in laymans language, making it simple for Novices or the experienced person.
These drawings will show you what to do, from start to finish.
That is from obtaining the proper material , laying it out, making templates, welding the frame, pouring cement pad, mounting motor,hydraulic pump, routing hose, etc. The drawings will save you many hours, and a lot of money. They knowledge you will get from these drawings is worth getting them, whether you build the press or not. If you are seriously planning on building a hydraulic press, You definitely should get these. I highly recommend these drawings . As for Bob, you know his ability, knowledge, and mainly as a person willing to help us all.
Do yourselves a favor and order these plans. You will be glad you did.
E-mail Bob and get in line. They are worth several times what Bob
is selling them for. It took him a lot of hours drawing these, mainly for our benefit.

Thanks, Roland

Tags
knife