MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 04-15-2009, 06:35 PM
Steel Addict

CRC,
You are off to a good start. I KNOW about your back problem. Do you have any good tongs? That was my first project. I started with vise-grips but they were too short. Mild steel from the HW store is fine-- no hardening required. You can also go to Don Fogg's web site to get some good tutorials on forging blades. He knows what to do and shares a lot of knowledge. I hope your head gets better, it should.

Tracy

tongs.jpg
Old 04-15-2009, 08:46 PM
Living Legend

CRC,

Try this site. There are videos covering most major topics and are by some of the best in their fields. It isn't the same as one on one but is a large step up from trying to reinvent the wheel.

http://www.ccinstructionalvideos.com/

Check out this one by Ed - http://www.ccinstructionalvideos.com...desmithing.htm

If your looking to forge I bet this will cover your basic question fairly well and help narrow down where you might want more help.

Jim

Old 04-16-2009, 09:50 AM
Steel Addict

Tracy, that is one more thing I do not have. Although it may be one of the first things I try to forge. Here is a link to a really good instructional UTube video on forgeing your own tongs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrw6XH-lb08
Thanks for the vote of confidence on my head injury, that makes two of us because I really am not looking forward to anymore surgery right now.

Thanks for the links Jim. If my computer ever crashes I am going to be sick I have so much information bookmarked under the favorites tab that I have had to go back and create subfolders to keep it all straight. I think I need to back it all up again just in case.

Thank you evryone that offered this great advice and a hand out and up for sharing it with me!
Old 04-16-2009, 10:53 AM
Steel Addict

Here is something to whet your appetite.

GrantForge1.jpg

Tags
blade, forge, forging, knife, knife making, knives