MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 07-06-2003, 10:54 PM
Registered

Question some questions

i have the etch o matic but have been having trouble getting a nice clean image on the aluminum it is on. what exactly does the nuetralizer do and how important is it?

where in ontario canada would i find some one to make a nice clean logo for etching? i heard there was someone in kitchener on but have no info on the person any help would be appreciated.
thanks
jay
ps how do you clean polish out of a buffing wheel?:confused: :confused: :confused:
Old 07-07-2003, 07:04 AM
Skilled

Aluminum would probably require a lower voltage or a shorter etch because it is very reactive. Chem Etch in Burlington will have the etchant you need.

To make a buff cleaning rake take a piece of wood a couple of feet long, drive a handful of nails into one side with the tips juat sticking out the other in a tight group near the center of the board. Hold the board securely in two hands and lightly rake the surface of the buff.

Old 07-07-2003, 12:19 PM
Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Sader
etch-o-matic

Jay, I have the etch-o-matic myself but haven't used it a whole lot because I don't like the stencils I got from the Martronics people.I'm not sure exactly what you mean by nice clean image, 1st I hook the clip on the blade for grounding, then tape around the stencil,wet the pad on the etcher and hold it on the blade for a count of 7-8. The neutalizer does just that it neutralizes the acid in the etchant,it is very important, you should also oil the blade around the etch to keep from having rust start.I didn't do it on my first knife and it bleeds rust out of the etch ruining the logo. I mixed the neutralizer in an old 20 oz coke bottle with hot water and daub it on a rag to neutralize with. Hope this helps, Good Luck, Mike

Tags
blade, knife