MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:45 PM

Handle Gluing Help

Hey Guys, I have a Damascus blank that I got for free from the person I bought my grinder from. It is a classic style hunter and I have put the edge on it but now the problem is the handle I have the shapes cut out but the holes on the tang are far too small for my loveless or corby rivets. I was hoping that roughing up the handle and gluing them on would suffice but I was hoping for an outside opinion.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:56 PM
Skilled

I wouln't count on glue alone to keep your scales in place, besides, it would look odd to have a full tang (I am assuming) knife without pins. Can't you drill out the holes? If the tang is heat treated, you could (carfully) anneal it to allow drilling, or use a carbide drill bit. Just my opinion...

Two Mountains Forge
Delta, BC, Canada
www.twomountainsforge.com
Old 02-16-2013, 10:42 PM
Master

What size are the holes? If you have a hobby store in your area I'm sure you could get some brass rod the right size just for that knife. Or like mentioned above drill out the holes the right size. If you need to soften the steel just stick it in a can of water so only the tang is sticking out. Heat up the tang with a torch and you should be good to go.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:16 AM

Go to the hardware store where they have bulk bins. They sell different diameter so I'm sure you can get something close.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:56 AM

Try spot drilling somewhere between the pin holes to see if it will drill easily with what you have on hand. If so just enlarge the holes to the size you need. Expect the hole closest to the cutting edge to be in a hardened area. Try the most rearward first. You can "normalize" soften the handle area as suggested. I have found it easier to use aluminum jaws in my big vise to clamp the blade (acts as a heat sink) not so much juggling as with water.
Not sure why you would sharpen a blade before installing the handle. Most discover that is a good way to gain another scar for the grandkids to marvel at. Dull it and tape it while you work on the handle.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 03-01-2013, 08:21 AM
Skilled

Yep, I'll just echo what everyone else said, but you either need to get pin material to fit your holes. (1/8 inch brass brazing rod is like 2$ for 3 feet at any hardware store. ) Or you need to drill the holes to fit your pins.

You say you have sharpened it but you didn't say if you had heat treated the blade. Did you? Or are you assuming the guy who gave it to you did? Better make sure since you may be woefully disappointed in your knife otherwise. If you heat treated the blade, you will already know if the handle is hardened because you will know whether or not you heated and quenched that area.

Last edited by ricky_arthur; 03-01-2013 at 08:43 AM.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:20 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Before you go any further with it, go back and dull the edge. Never, EVER, work on a sharpened blade! Good way to lose body parts when your buffer or grinder or drill press takes the blade away from you and throws it....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Tags
blade, brass, damascus, drill, edge, full tang, hand, handle, hardware, hobby, hunter, knife, material, pins, press, rivets, rod, scales, steel, store, tang, vise