MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 05-01-2017, 12:33 PM
Enthusiast

A good video on testing

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4SFvKX9PsQk

It's clearly not totally inclusive, and I'm sure other tests and procedures could be substituted or added, but it's a very good, point blank, beginners guide to testing. Either for new steels or for heat treat.
To me it made sense, for what that's worth.
Old 05-01-2017, 01:46 PM
Guru

Just skimmed through the video. Your right this is similar to the testing I go through every time I use a new steel. Its a process we all learn in the very beginning as we learn to heat treat our knives...and you use the same general testing on any new steel every added ingredient added to the steel makes the heat treat different. You also want to learn how to heat treat a steel in different ways tto produce different effects, edge holding vs toughness stuff like that
Old 05-01-2017, 02:50 PM
Enthusiast

By the authors own admission, it's not inclusive or definitive, and not necessarily scientific. I think new makers (such as myself) would be well advised to do something equivalent.
Just for the record though, the basic idea has been suggested multiple times on this sight. I just thought the video provided some visual guidance, for those that learn by seeing.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:55 AM
Guru

Kev your right I would sugest you go through that process before (and this was something walter said in the video) you start putting crazy effort into making a "good looking knife" The heat treat is the heart and soul of a knife. When I started I didn't know about that video (maybe it would have helped) BUT what I did have is the guys on this forum coaching me.....I broke a lot of knives and coupons before I had a really good heat treat but it was well worth it

Tags
art, bee, beginning, blade, edge, heat, heat treat, how to, knife, knives, made, makers, making, steel, toughness, video