MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 12-27-2009, 09:01 PM
Enthusiast

buffing compound

I just finished some slip joints for Christmas gifts, and used what I think was micarta for the slabs. It was a lt. green translucent material with a shiny finish, but when sanded down past the face, it showed minute pores which I could not polish out with 1200 grit sandpaper. I have a buffer with a cloth wheel , unused. What brand or color should I buy to get that a nice sheen to the material? Thanks, Tony!

Old 12-27-2009, 09:48 PM
Steel Addict

I have had success with micarta using Pink Scratchless from Jantz supply.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:07 PM
Enthusiast

Can't help on the buffing compound, but just FYI, what you've got there is not Micarta, but either natural G10 or natural G11 (both are glass fiber based laminates). Regular micarta (paper or cloth based laminate) is never translucent. This may affect what you'll need to buff it.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:58 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Sounds like G-10. For G-10 or Micarta excellent results can be had from buffing first with White Diamond to remove very light scratches followed by No Scratch Pink for a high polish. You will want a different buffing wheel for each compound you use.

Also, you will not be able to remove those tiny pits by buffing, or if you do, you will create a wavy surface on the G-10. The proper way to handle pits or heavy scratches is to sand them out. You may find that when you sand out those pits you just uncover more of them so you may have to live with them and find a different supplier next time you buy G-10. As a last resort, after to polish the handle you could try putting a dab of epoxy over the pits. After it sets, sand it down with fine paper and then buff it again gently and quickly so as not to remove the epoxy ......

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 12-28-2009, 12:31 PM
Enthusiast

Ray, would flooding the G10 with thin CA and finishing like a CA finish on wood work?
Old 12-28-2009, 01:03 PM
Enthusiast

I does sound like I have g-10 material...I will try the epoxy...Will a superglue work as well? Thanks for each response. Tony!

Old 12-28-2009, 01:14 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by back pocket View Post
I does sound like I have g-10 material...I will try the epoxy...Will a superglue work as well? Thanks for each response. Tony!
My guess would be yes - if it's the thin superglue like you want to use on finishing wood handles, so it will get down into the pores - but I haven't actually tried it. Regardless, it shouldn't hurt. I'd get the scales as clean as I could - wash with something like Dawn dishwashing detergent to get rid of any oils and follow up with a cleaning with something like 91% alcohol before applying the superglue.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:21 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

I would imagine that would work . I've heard that Superglue finishes are soft and easily damaged though. If that's true then it would kind of defeat the purpose of using G-10 which is often chosen for it's extreme toughness and durability. That's why I suggested only filling the pin holes. Aside from that, I think a properly applied Superglue finish will probably look great until something external messes it up .....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Tags
christmas, supply