MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fit & Finish

Fit & Finish Fit and Finish = the difference in "good art" and "fine art." Join in, as we discuss the fine art of finish and embellishment.

Old 10-10-2002, 11:41 AM
Master

Send a message via AIM to jdlange Send a message via MSN to jdlange
Question concerning finishes

Howdy all,

This may seem like a strange question but I am curious about your opinions. I have worked quite a bit with silver in the past (perhaps I will post a shot of some of my work some time) as a jeweler and I have a fondness for that reticulated silver look, you know all grimy and bumpy and "not smooth" and have found that I really like the same look on some of my knife blades. I have found a number of ways of producing this finish on my blades but wonder how you guys feel about wear and tear. Will a finish like this make the knife worth less, in my artistic eye it looks better on alot of pieces (I am very fond of primitive and old world looks) especially the ones where I am using natural materials for the rest of the knife (bone, leather, antler) and my most recent commision asked for it specifically so I am asuming that there are other people out there looking for this "unfinished look" as well. Do any of you also finish any of your blades this way? And if so are there any tips you can give me on producing different variations on this finish?

Just looking for input.

Gilbert " Gib " Guignard
12/02/35 - 7/15/05
A man like no other.
Old 10-12-2002, 08:56 AM
Guru

Joshua, check out http://www.cactusforge.com I have deen doing this for a long time and yes there is a market for these knives. As for wear and tear ferric cloride will do a good job of refinishing. For mor info email me.
Gib

Old 10-14-2002, 11:41 AM
Master

Send a message via AIM to jdlange Send a message via MSN to jdlange
Yes, this is exactly what I'm talking about. I had not used this finish until one of my customers asked for it specifically and after using it it seems to flow better with the style of knife I enjoy making (kind of primitive looking, lots of bone, stag, leather and other natural items for handles material and adornment). Your bowies are absolutly beautiful. I would certainyl be interested in any advice you could offer in using this finish as I will be using it a great deal more from now on.

Thanks a ton Gib!!

Gilbert " Gib " Guignard
12/02/35 - 7/15/05
A man like no other.

Tags
knife, knives