MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:21 AM

Bench grinder vs. Belt grinder

Does anyone use a bench grinder instead of a belt grinder? Can't afford a decent belt grinder so I was wondering if a bench grinder will get the job done.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:04 AM
Hall of Famer

When I first started out I used a bench grinder (what I had at the time) to make one of my first knives. I ended up having to file a lot to get the bevels flat. Basically, I had to fix a lot of things that got screwed up by the bench grinder.

If you are starting out, I suggest starting as small as possible, with 1/8" or 3/32" thick stock, and about a 3 inch blade. Hand file it. Filing can go a lot faster than you think on the thin stock.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:04 AM
Steel Addict

Although no one here will recommend one, and for valid reasons, a $50 1x30 belt sander would be closer to suitable than a bench grinder.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:06 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

I started with a bench grinder - noisy, dirty, slow, heated the metal far too much and never successfully made a blade although it could have worked for pen knives and other tiny blades. I've only know a couple of guys who could get good service out of a bench grinder.

Followed that with a 1x30. Did make two or three small knives with that but switched to files and sandpaper after that and got the blades made faster with fewer mistakes. After a while, I bit the bullet and bought a Grizzly and entered the wonderful world of the 2x72, even if I was at the muddy bottom of that world. Still use that grinder 20 years later ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 03-11-2013, 07:15 AM

Bench grinder is a tough way to go. Side grinder will shape and profile better/faster once you master it (other wise it will maim or kill you). You'll wind up with belt sander of some configuration if you stay at this very long at all. Grizzly is not a bad machine to start with and or use....lot of guys use them exclusively and turn out excellent work. Like in any mechanized world there are "cadilacs", you have to decide how far you want to take it,
I prefer hammers and files mostly, but that's just me. Quality hammer control can greatly reduce the need for much grinding or filing.

I suggest you fill out your profile. Let us know where you are as some of us might be right next door and you can come see for yourself.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 03-11-2013, 07:19 PM
Steel Addict

Have a friend that makes fabulous knives with a table saw. He took the saw blade off and mounted a stone in its place. Has a stop on the edge side so he can slide the blade forward and then move it side to side. Flip it over and do the other side.
He used EDM stones to smooth the grind and then goes to sand paper to finish it. Alot of dfferent ideas.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:56 PM
Enthusiast

Angel, that sounds like an accident waiting to happen. Speed is way too fast and its just an overall bad idea.If you have no regartd for your body than go for it.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:36 AM

Not only way too fast for safety, but if anything comes loose or breaks apart on a tabe saw it's direction is straight at the user/operator's vitals! No place else to go.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H

Tags
2x72, art, blade, blades, edge, file, files, flat, grinding, hand, knife, knives, made, make, sand, saw blade, stone, tiny