MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 05-02-2007, 08:43 PM
Registered

Exclamation G-10 And Canvas Micarta

Hello folks I am new to this arena and have a couple of questions. I have just purchased 3 kits and I need finishing help. I just got in my G-10 scales and I need to know how do I finish G-10 to make it rough textured much like the texture on a G-10 scaled Benchmade knife? The g-10 came with a smooth shiny finish. The second question is how to I get the same finish on both paper micarta and canvas micarta. If I cant get the rough finish on the paper or canvas micarta how do I get it smooth and scratch free? I have sandpaper up to 800 grit, a bench grinder, and a dremel. I dont have a buffer but probably could get access to one. All recommendations are appreciated. Is this stuff addicting or what?

Thanks,

Shudy
Old 05-02-2007, 10:28 PM
Administrator

Hi Shudy,

Welcome to KNet!

Addictive?
Heck no! ... has anyone seen my needle?

On the handle materials, to get them smooth, use graduating grits of sandpaper and go to a finer grit until you're happy with the finish. The course grits are used to create a rough finish, or for removing lots of material quickly.

I think you're referring to textured G-10? If so, you could probably simulate it by filing perpendicular grooves in the surface. The stuff we sell comes in sheet form already textured. It looks like this ...

Really, it works best for flat surfaced handles. Once you sand a radius in them, it basically sands away to a smooth finish.

I hope this helps...

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 05-03-2007, 08:34 AM
Master

Shudy-
What Alex said is right on. Another common way to get that rough surface is by bead blasting. Good luck luck with the kits!
-Dave

"The choice isn't between success and failure; it's between choosing risk and striving for greatness, or risking nothing and being certain of mediocrity." - Keith Ferrazi

Tags
knife