MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fit & Finish

Fit & Finish Fit and Finish = the difference in "good art" and "fine art." Join in, as we discuss the fine art of finish and embellishment.

Old 09-28-2004, 01:42 PM
Skilled

Canvas Micarta

I'm working with some green canvas micarta scales right now. I have tried the suggestions I found using the search, except buffing (I don't want it shiny). The scales look 'dusty', like an ashey green. Any suggestions as how to bring out the green?

Thanks
Jeremy

Old 09-28-2004, 04:57 PM
Master

i dunno what youve tried so far but...the surface finish plays a huge role in how it looks..maybe u need to finish it to a finer grit? does the color show up well when wet? maybe lightly oil it? also if it was slightly overheated while working it, it will leech out some of the color.

-Jason Aube
Old 09-30-2004, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Krammes
I'm working with some green canvas micarta scales right now. I have tried the suggestions I found using the search, except buffing (I don't want it shiny). The scales look 'dusty', like an ashey green. Any suggestions as how to bring out the green?

Thanks
Jeremy
I finish micarta to 600 grit wet dry. You are never going to get as intense a color with canvas based as you will with linen based. The fibers in the canvas are bigger and when exposed will mute the color more.

Sanding the micarta with water is also good because it carries away the dust insted of leaving it trapped in the fibers.

Old 09-30-2004, 10:55 PM
Skilled

Hi Jeremy!
I do what E-Diddy does, and finish with gun oil, (takes away the dusty look) canvas micarta will darken and smooth out a little with use if not buffed.
I will try and find an example pic!
Good luck.
Lucas

Here we go!

Last edited by luc; 09-30-2004 at 10:57 PM.
Old 10-01-2004, 09:53 AM
Skilled

Thanks guys. I tryed the gun oil thing, that worked. Next time I'll try the wet sanding to see how that works. I should have the finished knife posted in about a week or so.

Hay Luc, I love your work, I saw you in Blade last month.

Jeremy

Old 10-06-2004, 12:33 AM
Living Legend

This is a really late reply, but in general terms, the "darkness" and depth of the colour in most Micartas and G10's is directly proportional to the grit size used. The higher the grit (finer), the darker the colour will be. In some instances, like in black linen Micarta, it becomes so dark that all contrast in the layers can just about disappear. Also, when fully polished, the fabric Micartas get sealed down, so it doesn't have the grippy effect that satin finished Micarta gets when it gets wet. Some people also want that.

I just had an interesting thing happen with denim Fibermascus. When satin finished, eg.- 180-240grit on the grinder, the thing is a bright fresh denim blue. When I finished it up to 600grit and then buffed it, it turned a dark blue-green !

Also, remember that Micartas and related laminates were not specifically designed for knifemaking (except Gary Riner's Fibermascus) but rather, for electrical insulation properties, so colour and consistency from batch to batch is not really a priority to the manufacturer. Different batches will look different and behave slightly differently when ground and finished.

Jason.

(Matthew 10.16)
Old 10-06-2004, 08:35 AM
Skilled

Thanks Jason... I'll keep that in mind next time I work with it.

Jeremy

Old 10-06-2004, 10:31 AM
Steel Addict

Send a message via AIM to SheepishLion
Micarta Work

How tough is it to work Micarta with hand tools??? I don't own a grinder but was thinking of using some Micarta scales on a knife for a friend. Also, what's a good cheap place to get some Micarta to play with???

Thanks,

Joe
Old 10-06-2004, 11:44 AM
Skilled

Its very easy to work. I used a chanesaw file to shape it, because my grinder cut it so quick. I think I got mine from Scheffields they call it Phenolic Resin, Micarta is a registered name, but it's all the same stuff. It's all cheap no matter where you get it.

Jeremy

Old 10-07-2004, 03:56 AM
Master

i think all the supply houses carry micartalike material and as Jeremy said, its easy to work.

on a side note....be carefull whilst working composites. none of its is good to breath but some can be worse. the composites that use fiberglas(like G10) are very bad to breath, the glass fibers will actually start lodging into your skin and lungs causing bad problems..carbon fibre is even worse. try to work it wet to keep the dust down, wear protective clothing and a respirator, clean up the mess when you are done before it becomes airborn. using a paper/linen/canvas based composite is much safer(if a bit weaker) than a glass/carbon based.

-Jason Aube
Old 10-07-2004, 03:57 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via AIM to SheepishLion
Thanks for the info guys!

Joe
Old 10-08-2004, 11:43 AM
Steel Addict

You can buy G-10 AND G-11 in sheets by the foot in different thicknesses from McMaster Carr. Good cheap way to practice. I use it to make working models of knives I'm gonna build.

Tags
blade, knife, knives