MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 08-15-2004, 08:56 PM

Parallels-Do I really need them for folder work?

In the course of learning how to drill an accurate hole, for pivot pins, stop pins, etc., I've gotten into the habit of using parallels for much if not most of my drilling. I've got a couple of very good vises...precision ground to .0002" on all sides, and I check my table regularly to make sure it's good and square.

Earlier today I was talking with a friend and I happen to mention my use of parallels, and he asked me "why?"

Turns out, he rarely uses anything to hold down his work...While drilling, he'll keep the work in place with one hand and work the drill with the other. He explained to me that often he'll simply place titanium liners down on a very flat, thin piece of wood, and then drill,... he says that there's enough pressure against the wood to hold the liner in place while drilling.

Although I've gotten accustomed to using parallels, and can now set them up in my vises quickly and easily, I wasn't able to offer an especially strong argument for their use, other than "it insures that your holes are square." (He makes really great folders with very smooth action...Tough to argue with success).

So....am I doing more than required for folder making? Is this an example of overkill?

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!

Old 08-15-2004, 09:15 PM
Steel Addict

All It Takes Is One Time For A Drill To Grab And Your
Friend Will Have A Cut Hand Or Wrist. It's Better To
Be Safe And Take A Little More Time Than Fast And Have
An Accident.

Lynn Drury
Old 08-15-2004, 11:23 PM
Steel Addict

You should see the holes in the drywall near the drill press at work where guys thought just the pressure was enough. Like wasting your time carrying concealed, it only takes once to make the effort worthwhile.
Old 08-16-2004, 06:41 AM
Skilled

I have made up a little plate like Ray Rogers shows in his tutorial to hold pieces down while drilling and milling, fairly accurate but the benefit is mainly in the reduced breakage of small drills and such. Takes very little time to clamp things in place.

Old 08-16-2004, 09:41 AM

Yeh, I haven't forgotten about Ray's drill plate...
I just received my first few taps,...I've yet to tap even one hole...Ever!
(I'm still making up for years of lost time...I haven't done badly for someone who didn't know the front end of screwdriver 2 1/2 years ago).

In the meantime, I find the parallels so easy to use...Just slip 'em in, set the workpiece on top and tighten the vise...Couldn't be easier!(BTW-I take a small piece of foam rubber, squeeze it and set it down between the parallels, and then let it go...it expands, and keeps them separated nicely).

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!

Old 08-16-2004, 10:14 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

I use parallels in a couple of milling operations for which they are handy but not essential. Never even thought of using them for drilling. Apparently, you are using them to make sure that whatever you drill is perpendicular to the drill bit - a legitimate use, to be sure. I accomplish the same thing my using the drill press to mill a step into my brass vise jaws - that guarantees the step is perpendicular to the drill chuck - and then setting a flat plate (that George mentioned) with parallel sides into the step as a drilling surface. This is fast and works very well on odd shaped pieces. It also provides the clamping pressure necessary for safety....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 09-21-2004, 01:15 AM
Steel Addict

If I used a clamp for every hole I drilled..........it would take me a week to finish one knife!

John 1:17
Love is Stronger than Death

Fight Crime-Shoot Back
Old 09-21-2004, 02:39 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

It does take me a week to finish one knife. But, it's all the wood splitting and stacking, maintaining machines and buildings, driving 20 miles to get or send mail, 70 miles for groceries, feeding animals, cooking my meals and doing laundry etc that makes it take that long. I would be hard pressed to assign more than 3 hours total to the actual changing of drill bits and reams, and the use of my clamping system for every hole I drill or ream for a folder. I estimate there are 30 to 50 drilling operations on my folders including the drilling, countersinking, reaming, and clearance drilling operations. It may be true that a glacier moves faster than I do on these operations but with the system I use, the clamping time is insignificant .........

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Tags
knife, knives