MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 09-22-2017, 03:39 AM

Looking to make another knife after a long time out

So it's been a couple years since I made my first two knives and I still have some 1084 pieces lying around. Is there anything egregiously wrong with this profile that I am not seeing? The bottom one is closer to what I am looking to make. This is 2 inch wide 3/16ths thick 1084. Thanks for your help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (99.5 KB, 25 views)
Old 09-22-2017, 08:37 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

There's nothing particularly wrong with it if that's what you want to make. What do you want to use it for? It doesn't look especially useful for any given purpose to me but I may have missed your intent. It is pointy and could pierce something but the wide blade might prevent it from going very deep. It is thick and sturdy but the handle angle would probably work against you for heavy chopping or shaving (as in shaving wood). The wide blade and shallow grind would limit its use for dressing out an animal. And the general shape would render making a sheath for it a little more of a challenge than usual. In short, it looks cool but is it really useful? Maybe you should cut one out of wood first and play with it a little before you commit to it ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 09-22-2017, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
As Ray mentioned, it's really all about what you want to make, and what you want to use it for. Personally I see a lot of limitations in that design from the standpoint of it being a "using" knife. Many times what we THINK is "cool" turns out to be detrimental in the end product. The only solution for that is time and experience. I'd say that if it's what YOU want, make it, use it, and learn from it.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 09-22-2017, 01:36 PM

Thanks for the tips. I would say that the shape was more of what I could fit on the piece of steel rather than something I thought looked super cool. Ray, you mentioned that the handle angle could be detrimental. What would you change about this knife to make it more functional as sort of a general purpose fixed blade? This is given the constraints that the outline around the blade is the size of my hunk of steel and that I only have the capability to do flat grinds and can only do shapes I can fit a file into.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:01 PM
Guru

my opinion would be bring the tail end of the tang upwards so its more in line with the spine. also the blade shape it self is kinda like a punch dagger but yours only has one edge punch daggers are good for just that and not much more...I would narrow out the back end of the blade and give it a bit of a belly.....I understand the chunk of steel you have is limited but you should be able to do something with it to give the design more functionality On another note you could make it a hidden tang instead of a full tang that would give you more room for the blade because the tang on a hidden tang doesn't need to extend the entire handle legth just enough to get it into a block of wood or what ever handle material your using. and put a pin through it..if I wanted to make a knife and had limited legth of steel that is probilly what I would do...
Old 09-22-2017, 02:40 PM

I have never attempted to make a stick tang before. How does this compare in difficulty to making a full tang and how is it fixed to the handle?
Old 09-22-2017, 02:43 PM

Also, what do you mean by narrowing the back of the blade and giving it a belly? I don't know a lot of the terminology.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:04 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Just because your steel is that wide doesn't necessarily mean your blade has to be. I'd probably do as Dave is suggesting and make it a stub tang so you have more length to use for the blade. You can read a description of how to attach a stub tang to a handle here: http://www.rayrogers.comstubtang.htm

You can grind the blade any way you want but having the handle more in line with the blade spine will make it handle better. A general purpose utility camp knife usually has a straight blade with an up swept tip. Typical blade styles would include trailing points, drop points, and blades with clipped points (a false edge). You can google these terms to see examples of the knives but basically we're talking most any form of common hunting knife. 'Belly' is just a reference to how much curve the edge has as compared to a straight edge.

Or, you can simply do as Ed suggested and make it just as you designed it and decide for yourself how well it works . Nothing wrong with that either ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 09-23-2017, 04:25 AM
Guru

Michael....I took your drawing and "edited" it to show what I was describing in my post but every time I try to attach the pic the site freezes check your private messages

Tags
1084, angle, bee, blade, design, file, fixed blade, full tang, grind, handle, help., hunting knife, knife, knives, made, make, making, play, post, profile, sheath, steel, tang, tips, wood