MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 04-17-2016, 07:31 PM
Skilled

Two new knives

Two recently finished knives, both "bird & trout" knives.

The "Brooktrout" in 1/8" 1084 with Walnut scales.

The "Grouse" in 1/8" 1095 with Japanese Chestnut scales.

On these narrower blade knives, I think it may be better to do a full flat grind. On the Grouse, I did a partial grind which leaves a thicker upper portion. It also produces a more acute bevel angle and the secondary edge bevel is a bit too steep for my liking. Seems I can put a narrower or finer edge on a full flat grind because of the primary bevel angles. Dunno...I'm learning.

Love the look of that Japanese Chestnut.
Both knives have brass hardware.

I've finished the last few blades with a Scotch-Brite type wheel on a bench top buff, After hand sanding down to 600 grit. It leaves a nice satin finish that can be reapplied after finishing to remove those very light, superficial scratches that invariably show when putting on the final sharpening. Doesn't matter what I do, when it is "finished" I still end up with a few minor "cooties" that need to be dealt with. This finish seems heavier in photos than when actually viewing in the hand. My thought is, why finish to a perfect satin finish when the knives are intended to be used and will be scratched immediately? So on the one hand, this finish is adequate and I'm mostly satisfied...but not quite. On the other hand, I believe I still like a finer finish on a new knife and will probably hand sand down to 1200 grit or so on the next blades and compare.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!
Old 04-17-2016, 07:38 PM
Skilled

I think you did a Great job on both.
Your choice of woods were excellent for the style of knives.
Two great products, Well done.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:38 PM
Skilled

re: My comments about the narrower blade/partial flat grind. It just occurred to me this would probably work fine with a hollow ground blade, and eliminate the heavy edge bevel.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!
Old 04-17-2016, 09:08 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Beautiful work! Sorry you could get in the Chat Room tonight, hope you'll try again next week ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 04-18-2016, 12:12 AM
Hall of Famer

Good looking knives. Love the handle on the "Brooktrout".

Doug

Old 04-18-2016, 10:22 AM

Love the walnut on the Brooktrout.

As for your grind on the grouse, yes a hollow is the best approach to keep your edge geometry correct with those finish lines.

The alternative is to do a 'zero' grind with the main bevels if you don't like the more pronounced secondary look.

Nice work!

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 04-18-2016, 02:02 PM
Skilled

Thanks for the comments. Andy, not that I don't like the look so much as I think the angle is too steep for a secondary grind with a blade that narrow. So seems there are some alternatives, one being the hollow grind, two a full flat grind like on the Brooktrout, three thinner steel. The 'Zero' grind? Are you talking about the grind bevel continuing all the way down and creating the cutting edge? Is that like a true Scandi grind?

Ray, re: Chat Room Sunday. I had some free time and decided to poke around and see what it was all about. Thought I may be in a "secret club" when I couldn't get in! :-) Glad to know it was just server issues. I'll try again another time.

Thanks for all the comments everyone.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!
Old 04-18-2016, 06:54 PM

Looks great.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:54 AM

Yes, a scandi grind is one type of 'zero' grind, but not all 'zero' grinds are scandi grinds. Make sense?

The scandi is a flat grind with main bevels the generally rise less than half the verticle height of the blade profile when viewed with the point oriented left or right.

A zero grind is any main bevel or blade geometry that extends uninterrupted to the cutting edge. A katana and many other swords employ zero grind geometry of one sort or another.

A hollow ground knife is not a good candidate for a zero grind--too thin just above the edge.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 04-19-2016, 03:05 PM
Skilled

I love those blades man, I may have to get a scotch brite belt.

Old 04-22-2016, 05:52 PM

Beautiful job, Dude.

Jim L.

Tags
1084, 1095, angle, bevel, blade, blades, brass, edge, flat, flat grind, grind, hand, hardware, japanese, knife, knives, man, products, sanding, satin finish, scales, sharpening, show, walnut, woods