MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 06-23-2017, 09:49 AM
Enthusiast

Sheath #2

Sheath #2. I think it turned out pretty well. Definitely still have some things to work on. I need to even up the dye somehow. It got dark in a couple of spots. I also got carried away with the edge coat. Next time I'll use a qtip or a small brush.

Old 06-23-2017, 11:24 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

In my Hollow grind video I demonstrate how I solved that splotchy dye problem. The oil based dye goes into a crock pot, which of course, is much larger than the little bottle of dye can fill. The extra volume is filled with Neatsfoot oil. More dye can be added to darken the color if desired. Now, the whole pot of dye can be warmed up easily and the sheath can be dunked in one shot. No more splotchy problem and the oil soak maximizes the waterproofing....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 06-24-2017, 07:01 AM

If you burnish the raw edges with either a bone folder and gum tag or use a worn 220 grit belt on your belt sander (dampen edge with wet sponge), you will have a smoother more defined edge. Looks better and easier to stain with edge coat without run-over. You can also take an "edge creaser" and run the edge. This will not only true-up the bevel, but dress up the edge and help pack the stitching tighter....all good.

Can't really see the transition of the belt loop as it enters the interior of the sheath, but looks like it might be a bit bulky. Try skiving the flesh side down to a thin taper and glue in place before stitching. You may have done this just can't see it from pic.

Sheath looks solid and functional, all the above is just finessing the finished product and with practice only takes a few extra minutes. Well worth it in my book.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 06-25-2017, 12:22 AM
Enthusiast

Thank you for the advice guys. I am currently on #3, then I will make the KITH sheath. I'm having a good time doing all this. And I feel like I'm making progress.
Thanks again
Old 06-25-2017, 07:17 PM
Skilled

Much improved over the first one! What ^Crex^ said about the edge. A deer antler works well too to burnish and round that edge over if you can get your hands on one.

What kind of dye are you using? Sometimes it helps to dampen the sheath a little before applying the dye. I don't have much problem with splotchy but I use a darker brown and it's finishes up pretty even. Maybe put on a second coat after the first one soaks in and partially dries. They will lighten up just a bit after drying and what looks even when wet can be a bit splotchy after drying.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!
Old 06-28-2017, 12:32 PM
Guru

A 2nd coat does tend to get rid of the splotches. Makes it darker too. I use both the oil based and the eco-flo dyes from Tandy. If you want differing colors or shades then the eco-flo is the way to go. I also use the old fashioned Kiwi shoe polish for an antique look after the eco-flo. Your sheath is considerably better than your 1st attempt. So good job Kevin.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:53 AM
Enthusiast

I did end up applying another coat of dye and it cleared up 99% of the splotches. Thanks again for all the advice and coaching. I've made three others sheaths since this one. Tomorrow is the KITH, sheath. Hopefully all the practice will have paid off. Each one has been nicer than its predecessor, so I'm really hoping to turn in a nice quality piece.
Old 06-29-2017, 03:27 AM
Guru

Making some tooling stamps.

Kevin, you're going to have to try some tooling on your sheaths. Simple borders to start.
As has been said before there are some simple stamp designs you can make yourself. Give it a try. I love tooling designs into leather. It is my favorite part.

Last edited by jimmontg; 06-29-2017 at 03:36 AM. Reason: addition
Old 06-29-2017, 10:54 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmontg View Post
Kevin, you're going to have to try some tooling on your sheaths. Simple borders to start.
As has been said before there are some simple stamp designs you can make yourself. Give it a try. I love tooling designs into leather. It is my favorite part.
A buddy of mine has a small stamping set that he let me borrow. I tried quite a few designs on scraps, and none really suited my style. I'll keep looking though maybe I'll find something.
Old 06-30-2017, 09:15 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevBooth View Post
A buddy of mine has a small stamping set that he let me borrow. I tried quite a few designs on scraps, and none really suited my style. I'll keep looking though maybe I'll find something.
I typed out here what my wife said when she looked at my first nice basket weave patterned sheath I made. Then I deleted it, deciding some may find her categorization of it offensive since we all have different tastes.

As far as my style, I just like a plain sheath. I look at stitching, fit to the knife, functionality, and finish. I really have never seen a stamping I particularly like. I've seen some great work with inlays of exotic leathers, intricate patterns, etc. I can certainly appreciate the workmanship, but the patterns just don't appeal to me.
Thus my sheaths have no stampings. For my eye, it just doesn't add anything.

Admittedly, if everyone had the same tastes the world would be a boring place.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!
Old 06-30-2017, 10:37 AM

QUOTE: As far as my style, I just like a plain sheath. I look at stitching, fit to the knife, functionality, and finish. I really have never seen a stamping I particularly like. I've seen some great work with inlays of exotic leathers, intricate patterns, etc. I can certainly appreciate the workmanship, but the patterns just don't appeal to me. Thus my sheaths have no stampings.

Ditto for me. I have done stamping on my sheaths and it isn't that I don't like the look of it. But, it adds considerable time to the work (if you do a nice job) and time is money as they say. A plain sheath that exhibits a very high level of fit and finish as Goater said has more appeal to me. FWIW I never had a customer request stamping and never lost a sale that I know of because I didn't have it. Heck, on a very few occasions someone would ask me for a black leather sheath and I almost always just said 'No'.

Some of the sheath work I have seen on this forum borders on phenomenal and I greatly admire those who can do it. That said, if you enjoy doing it then by all means you should do it. But, if your tastes don't favor stamping or carving then there is no reason for you to think your work will be diminished for the lack of it ...

Old 06-30-2017, 11:25 AM
Enthusiast

This is my third attempt. To my eye it's markedly better than the second. I could be wrong. My cutting skills lack and my eye is still searching for those nice lines. I struggle getting the initial pattern right, but it's getting better. I like a nice snug fit but not too snug and the balance has a learning curve I suppose. I do feel like I'm improving and the style I use pleases my uneducated eye.
I worked on the KITH sheath last night and it is better still.
Thanks again for all of the advice.
Old 06-30-2017, 02:27 PM
Skilled

^^That's^^ like 10-fold better than the first one you made. Once you get the knack and technique down pat they aren't that difficult to do.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!
Old 06-30-2017, 03:41 PM

I agree, much, much better! The knife is very nice too, nothing to be ashamed of there assuming you've done some hard testing and know that your blades will hold up.

See those dark circles around the handle pins? That means you over heated the pins while shaping the handle and burned the wood. The most common culprit for this is using a dull belt. Too much speed with a finer grit can also do this.

As for balance, some people prefer the handle heavy balance that comes from full tangs on a short blade. If you want a more centered or blade forward balance the surest way to get it is with a stub tang handle design ...

Old 06-30-2017, 07:58 PM
Guru

Maybe he used JB Weld glue Ray, did ya think of that? LOL

Tags
advice, antler, belt, belt loop, belt sander, bevel, blade, bone, book, coat, demo, edge, folder, glue, grind, hollow grind, knives, make, making, problem, sander, sheath, sheaths, small, video