MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:57 PM
Enthusiast

As a leatherworker of over 50 years duration, I can say you have a great future as a leatherworker. As far as the edges. I can cure that very easily. Get someone with a lathe turn a round of hardwood about 3 to 4 inches in diameter with a raised lip (1/8) inch on what will be the inner edge(the one closest to the motor). Drrill the hole to match the arbor and use plate washers to secure the wheel from free spinning when the nut is tightened. Now here is the best part. You load the wheel wuth plain old beeswax and wet the edge of the leather. When you pass the edge over the waxed wheel it will "Burnish" the edge and give it the appearance of the edge of a new pair of leather soled shoes. It only takes a minute and it makes a ton of difference in the way your finished work looks. Bob Levine Levineknives@msn.com (Knifemakers Guild)
Old 07-07-2012, 12:21 AM
Hall of Famer

I would not try to punch holes in the leather with the sheath held in a stitching pony. I would either lay it on a plastic cutting board, or just a board, and punch the holes by driving he awl through with a mallet. Better yet I made a jig for my drill press. It's just a board the has a small hole in the middle, I think it's about 1/4", and another one near the edge. The hole in the middle is for pieces that will lay flat, like when I'm punching the holes for the belt loop. The one on the edge is for work that wont' lay flat, like a sheath with the belt loop in place. I just place which ever hole I want to use directly under the chuck and chuck up a needle that is larger than the one that I use for sewing. I don't drill the holes in the leather with the needle, I just use the arms on the drill press to push the needle through the leather. After I have all the holes made I clamp the sheath in the pony and start sewing. I tried to link a picture of my set up but for some reason I can't get it to upload. It says the picture is already here.

Doug

Old 07-07-2012, 06:17 AM

As has been said by all above, very well executed. You have already addressed the three biggest issues and no doubt learned from the excellent advice you have received here. These guys are the best there are in my book.
Only suggestion I didn't hear that might help, is to take a clean piece of smoothed and polishsed antler tip with a gentle curve and lightly "rub out" the marks left by the pony jaws on the backside. I have had sucess with this doing it right after stitching up (while the leather is still somewhat supple). "Gently" cannot be overstressed, just enough pressure to smooth out the crease but try not to burnish the leather surface. If you have already sealed the leather it most likely won't help.
I used (still do when the occasion calls for it) a jig much like Doug is describing for years, pre-Tippman, and it worked very well. I also have a wooden burnisher with multiple sized grooves for working the edges, very handy. You just need to get away from the spongee belly leather as mentioned above.
Since I am a knifemaker first, I tend to make my own tools, skives, knives, punches, awls and stamps whenever possible. It helped to be encouraged by Dad (Sandy M) to do so. Allows you to step away from traditional patterns and sizes and I like that. I work "small" quite often and there are no tools on the market for that.
Again very nice effort, hope to see more.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 07-08-2012, 09:58 AM
Master

Nice crisp tooling your basket weave does a way nicer job then mine. What brand is it?
Old 07-08-2012, 08:51 PM

Location: Blairsville--in the beautiful Appalachian mountains of North Georgia.
Posts that are giving information requested 15 months prior are not going to be of much use to the original poster------------just a thought------Sandy

Old 07-08-2012, 10:44 PM

You never taught me to tell time Dad!

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 07-09-2012, 09:06 PM

Location: Blairsville--in the beautiful Appalachian mountains of North Georgia.
Carl, my son-----On the mark, set your clock-------------MARK! Carry on, as you were! haha---Dad

Tags
advice, antler, arbor, art, bee, blade, brand, drill, edge, fixed blade, hunting knife, jig, knife, knifemaker, knives, leather, made, newbie, plastic, post, press, sand, sheath, tools