MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Display Case

The Display Case A place to post your latest knives and creations. Let the Knife Network community see your work first!

Old 02-16-2015, 10:14 PM
Enthusiast

1958 Ford and an oak tree

Back in January of 2014, I joined the American Bladesmith Society. Back in July of 2014, I finally built a gas forge. Back in November, I fired it up at a hammer-in with our local knife club and forged out three blades. This is one of those blades, forged from a portion of leaf spring from a 1958 Ford. There are people out there who will say, "leaf springs ARE such and such steel" based on a chart they found somewhere. I say hogwash on that. This steel IS 1958 Ford leaf spring, and it IS hardened to 59 Rockwell. Without precise testing, spectroscopy, or whatever, that's all I can tell you for certain. While I've not forged maybe 15 blades, it's all grinding in the end. With an eye to the International Custom Cutlery Expo in September, and journeyman smith testing in 2017, I consider this a good practice effort for meeting the guild and JS fit and finish standards. All that said, here are the specs: The knife is 8 3/4 long with a 4 1/8 blade. The blade is 3/16 thick at the ricasso with distal taper. The 600 grit satin finish is clean. The guard is 416 stainless, fit up tight, with a fiber and a 416 spacer. The handle is natural sheoak with an oil finish. Kind of in keeping with the "oak" theme, the right hand sheath is tooled in an oak leaf and acorns pattern. I've done basketweave a whole bunch, but this is my first effort at picture tooling on a sheath.

Mark side

back side

Handle contour and distal taper

guard fitup and plunge finish

fancy sheath!
Old 02-16-2015, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator

Beautiful knife, Jason.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:40 AM
Steel Addict

That's a beauty Jason, also good looking "fancy sheath."
Old 02-17-2015, 09:20 AM
Steel Addict

Really nice work Jason!

What species of Oak is that, (natural sheoak)??

I have never heard that species before ( natural sheoak) that I remember I like the grain
pattern on it!!!

EDIT: OK I had to look it up it is from Australia! I knew I had never seen a grain like that!!

With every custom knife I build I try to accomplish three things. I want that knife to look so good you just have to pick it up, feel so good in your hand you can't wait to try it, and once you use it, you never want to put it down !
If I capture those three factors in each knife I build, I am assured the knife will become a piece that is used and treasured by its owner!

C Craft

Last edited by C Craft; 02-17-2015 at 09:25 AM.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:08 PM
Enthusiast

yeah, it's an Australian oak of some kind. Haven't seen many with that good of contrast, it's what drew me to the block in the first place. Picked it up from a supplier at a show in Dallas.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:31 PM
Skilled

Very well done, Jason! Great looking fit and finish, the oak is pretty.

"We shall walk with a walk that is measured and slow,
And watch where the chalk-white arrows go
To the place where the sidewalk ends." Shel Silverstein

Tags
1958, back, bladesmith, block, custom, cutlery, forge, forged, grinding, guard, hammer, handle, knife, pattern, satin finish, sheath, show, spacer, stainless, steel