MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 02-11-2009, 05:45 PM

Question A sheath question ...

I am interested in making a sheath for my bowies with a metal throat and tip with the leather in the middle similar to some of the old styles. Somewhere in my memory I think I have been a how to article, but derned if I can find it now that I want it. I found one on and entire metal sheath, but I don't think it would go well with a bowie, like it does with a dagger or San Francisco style. Any ideas or direction would be appreciated. Thanks Joe.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:30 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Its done basically the same as the full metal sheaths......but you just make the parts you want (tip and throat). Here's a link to a full metal sheath tutorial....http://beknivessite2.homestead.com/nssheath.html

I don't think I've ever seen a tutorial on just the throat and tip making.....but that doesn't mean that there isn't one out there somewhere.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 02-11-2009, 11:10 PM
Super Moderator

I seem to recall one of the South American guys doing a tutorial on it, but I can't seem to find it. It pretty is the same as the one Ed forwarded, except that you're only making the tip and top, then attaching them to the leather portion of the sheath. (Rivets, I think)

Old 02-12-2009, 05:37 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
you're only making the tip and top, then attaching them to the leather portion of the sheath. (Rivets, I think)
Nope pins - sometimes visible, sometimes not - made of the same material and filed flush - glue helps too.......
Go here for a basic tutorial on how to make the whole sheath......
http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/829129
The core of the sheath in that tutorial is wood, a traditional method, but pass? by the 1800's Bowie era. The Sheffield Bowie makers made most of their cores from papier mache in fact and then covered it with leather as above. When I make mine I use a 8/10 oz veg tan core and then cover that with a lighter weight - 2/3 oz.

I've done a few - look through my website including the galleries - the throat is pretty easy overall and can be a single wrap around piece with a cap soldered on. The toe piece on the other hand can be a pain the royal patootie if there are too many compound curves. My favorite material is Sterling with brass second and nickel silver third since it is stiffer than the other even when annealed. Most originals I've examined are made of 22-24 ga, 20 ga at the heaviest except for the cap which can be up to 18 ga.

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:58 AM
Steel Addict

Harvey dean has a video on this.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:07 AM

Thanks for the suggestions! I was thinking while my computer was loading up this morning that I was probably trying to hard to find an easy way when the easy way might be to make it like a full sheath - just don't make the middle. Thanks again. My goal is to make a Bowie with this type of sheath in the next couple of months. If I can get it done I'll post it. Joe