MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 07-09-2004, 12:10 PM
Skilled

Question for makers - what's YOUR favorite bowie?

Okay, we all know that the term ?bowie? has come to describe a very wide variety of knives with quite dissimilar designs. But what does your favorite bowie look like? I don?t necessarily mean the one that is most popular with your customers, but rather your personal favorite of the ones you have made. It could be a standard model, or a one-off design.

For those of you who feel hard-pressed to pick a favorite, consider the question another way ? say a member of your family or close personal friend asks you to make a knife for them and says ?Make me a Joe Bladesmith bowie.? No further instructions are given.

So Joe, what does that knife look like ? dimensions (heck, I?ve seen ?bowies? in blade lengths from 5? to 15?); blade shape (clip point, spear point, straight back, broad or narrow); blade material (what?s your favorite choice of steel for this application); guard; handle design and material? or anything else that describes the design or construction of the knife.

If you?ve got a pic of your favorite bowie, so much the better. If you have a pic but have difficulty posting it just e-mail it to me and I?ll post it for you.

Thanks,

Roger
Old 07-09-2004, 02:26 PM
Guru

coffin handle..ivory or MOP with sliver edging
oval fileworked/etched gaurd of blued steel as a base
9-11" clip point blade...fairly slender with a long but shallow clip

Last edited by Don Halter; 07-09-2004 at 02:28 PM.
Old 07-09-2004, 02:40 PM
Living Legend

To me a Bowie is a large utility knife with a double guard. Needs to be tough and the blade and handle design needs to be suitable for swigning and chopping tasks. I suppose a blade >6inches and a full height flat grind or convex grind makes it look the part. A dropped edge also makes it look the "Mr Bladesmtih Bowie" part. Beyond that the permutations are endless.

Ones I've made ?

My favourite Bowie for myself is one that is about 7.5-8inches in the blade, 1075/1080/195 type steel with a hamon (O-1 if I'm going to take it outdoors), a bit lighter a whippier in the blade. PICTURE #1.

However, I could also go against my own definition and say that for all-round use, a smaller Bowie-inspired piece with a 4-5inch blade would be far more practical. PICTURE #2.

(Matthew 10.16)
Old 07-09-2004, 03:20 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

I haven't made my favorite bowie yet but I will. I've hammered out a couple that haven't quite made the grade but, one day, they will. When that happens I'll end up with a knife that has a strong Bill Bagwell influence, similar to Jason's Lightfigter above, but with an 11" blade and a forward facing C guard .....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 07-09-2004, 07:58 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to JimmySeymour
My favorite for using would be a spear point with a 10 to 12" blade. Double guard with nothing fancy for a handle. For just pure enjoyment I would love to have a Tim Hancock spear point or clip point damascus bowie with mammoth grips, and blued fittings. All the engraving and emblishments. I'm not a fan of big clip points but love Tim's design as well as John Fitch's as well.
Old 07-09-2004, 10:02 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
Searles!!!!!

SEARLES

Old 07-11-2004, 11:33 AM
Skilled

Favorite Bowie design

My all time Favorite was an English style Flat ground Bowie and Black Leather sheath made by Buster in the early 1970's.... I still see that knife in my mind which reminds me why I don't like him very much.....

Old 07-11-2004, 04:35 PM
Steel Addict

I like Steve Shiffers Pearl River Bowie. I am going to get one someday. For a factory model I like Al Mars 4009, Alaskan Bowie.
Old 07-11-2004, 07:37 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to JimmySeymour
I didn't even think historically when I made my previous comment. I would love to have and IXL Westenholm bowie, or for me the holy grail a Samuel Bell. Since a good origianl of either is out of my budget I would like to have Micheal Connor from winters make me a replica of a samuel bell.
Old 07-13-2004, 09:13 AM
Skilled

Thanks very much for the replies guys. It?s great to see the wide variety of styles represented here.

Jason ? that Lightfighter bowie is a beautiful design ? cool wood for the handle too.

JimmySeymore ? glad to see I?m not the lone Samuel Bell fan around here. Here is a Ron Newton repro. of a Bell knife (Point Seven photo):

And a Bailey Bradhsaw bowie inspired by a Bell design (though not a repro.):

Cheers,

Roger

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knives