MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 03-05-2006, 05:46 PM
Skilled

A question on what type of wood to stabilize

Hi all I am trying to find out what types of wood should be stabilized? I have just purchased some cocobolo and some blackwood not sure if they need stabilizing or not? Any info here would be appreciated. There are other woods I would like to use but no idea as to which should be stabilized.

Thanks
Mike
Old 03-05-2006, 06:23 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

IMO any wood that can be stabilized should be stabilized. However, there are many that can't and the two you mentioned are on the list. Generally speaking, any light weight, naturally dry wood should be stabilized. Extremely dense heavy woods like ironwood, snakewood, gidgee and such usually do not benefit much by stabilizing because the chemicals can't penetrate very deeply in such dense wood. Tropical woods like cocobolo and other naturally oily woods are not good candidates for stabilizing because the oils interfere with the chemical process and the acrylic may never set up properly.

There are occassional exceptions. I have had a piece or two of ironwood that seemed to do ok and blackwood sometimes accepts the process. If it seems dry and somewhat porous you might give it a try.

Finally, I would recommend that if you want your wood stabilized you send it to a professional like K&G Finishing or WSSI. Lots of guys do there own but results vary widely.....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 03-05-2006, 08:35 PM
Skilled

Ray,

Thank you for the reply. Is there a list that I can get my hands on that refers to which woods should be stabilized? The obvious ones are a no brainier just the ones in the middle of the road so to speak that could go either way are the ones I think I need to know. I don't want to be sending wood that does not or can not be stabilized. Which professional out fit is better in your opinion? Do you recommend stabilizing all antler/stag?

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited by Mike Turner; 03-05-2006 at 08:37 PM.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:03 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

I'm sending a box of wood off to K&G today. I have been very pleased with their work for many years. A couple of pieces of the wood I'm sending are on the list of poor choices for stabilizing but sometimes they seem to get a little benefit from the process. The only lists I have ever seen just state what I said before. If the wood is dry and not oily you have a shot.

I stabilize antler and stag if they seem a little porous. Can't hurt. Buffalo horn, bone and ivory definitely get stabilized ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 03-06-2006, 10:43 AM
Steel Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Drunkenduck
Try alphaknifesupply, they have a list of wood there that states if it presents a problem with stabilazation. Most they list that they don't stabilize is because that it is too dense like Lignum vitae and Desert Ironwood or it is too oily like Cocobolo or the Rosewoods. Then there are some like Limba or Lacewood that just simply come out looking bad.

Doug Lester
Old 03-06-2006, 06:21 PM
Skilled

Ray,

Thank you for the reply, you had answered another question that I did not ask about horn and the like. Thank you for your opinion.

Drukenduck,

Thank you for the info on alphaknifesupply, will be going there next I am sure that is what I am looking for.

Mike