MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 03-16-2003, 03:39 PM

Dennis,
Try a backspine that is rasied above the back of the knife and then rounded (full) or slightly. This will give you more room.
Old 03-16-2003, 05:32 PM

Maybe I'll try one of those "dorsal fins" backspines that Tim Herman's got on that incredible new "Marlin Sliver" folder of his (Display Case)8o :cool:

I saw it at the show...Totally flipped me out!...At one point it's probably raised just over 1/4" off the back.

That would pretty wild, putting one of those on a kit folder ...(if I could even pull it off) ...now that's some kind of filework!

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!
Old 03-17-2003, 08:15 AM
Steel Addict

Dennis,
My Idea is to remove the stop pin and make the backspacer double as the stop. Would require hardening the spacer, carefull triming to "time" the stop and maybe adding an extra screw to hold the front of the spacer. At the least you reduce the transition to one gap.

Darrel,
Thank for your explanation, We don't mean to have you build to our specs. I agree with your sense of design. We just want our cake and eat it too.

My DDR II won't have bolsters and will have full length, thicker scales, that are made for these old tired hands. The more I hold this small knife and play with it, the more I like the general design. I'm building the first one for me and keeping it. I don't care if anyone likes it or not.

Last edited by PaulD; 03-17-2003 at 08:21 AM.
Old 03-17-2003, 08:27 AM

Hey Paul,
Not a problem...

You can build the full backspine just extend it and drill and ream for a 1/16 dowell in the front to stabilize it. I think the liner screws will hold it together?
Yes it will have to be handened. Mayby use 440c then torch the tip where the blade and backspine meet.
Old 03-17-2003, 08:35 AM

I'm still waiting for Dennis to work over a DDR1. What's with the leapfrogging? You have to earn your wings on the DDR3, man! he he he!

Lots of great info in this thread. Thanks guys.

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 03-17-2003, 09:20 AM

I couldn't really tell you why, but the DDR-1 has never done much to rev my jets...If I'm not enthused than the results will reflect that. Early on I had a thing going for the DDR-2...still do. The GPC is OK,...and you know I dig the EV for a variety of reasons...but I've got it bad for the GX6.

I love the GX's dagger-style blade, and I get a lot of handle real estate in a small, easy-to-carry folder...For whatever reasons, the GX6 just keeps on inspiring me to explore new embellishment ideas.

The one I'm currently working on has proven to be a bit of a challenge...more than I expected, and I like it that way!
I thought I'd be finished by last night but got hung up on an interesting problem with how to incorporate some NIckel/Silver filework...Then there was all the etching and heat-coloring ...and I haven't even gotten to the backspine yet! If I wanted I could probably proclaim it finished as is, but I want to take this a little more over the top...All I know is, I left it out on the kitchen table last night for Michelle (wife) and Piper (daughter) to offer their opinions...to say they were enthusiastic is an understatement...

I promise to have it up in the next couple of days.

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!

PS. I'm sorry Coop, I got a little sidetracked there...did you say something about the DDR-1?
Old 03-17-2003, 11:13 AM
Administrator

Dennis ...

You're killing me with the suspense. Let's see the thing! :-)

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 03-17-2003, 12:14 PM

OK Alex-

Now that you've twisted my arm...

Although I still consider it a work in progress, just for you I'll take a couple of quick pics tonight when I get home from the office, and get them posted here.

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah baby!
Old 03-18-2003, 09:07 AM
Steel Addict

Dennis,

Can't wait, but I'll probably hate you.

I've been carrying that DDR II around assembled since the first of the year. Just put the parts together and centered the blade. I'm very happy with the overall fit, the lock timing was 99.999% right out of the box.

Finally know how I want it, now if I can just get some shop time.

Old 03-18-2003, 06:59 PM
Hall of Famer

i like this one. lots of interesting possibilities!

Old 04-09-2009, 09:15 PM

Having trouble with the fl 001 kit. No matter what I try I cant get the lock to work it fails the back spine test every time no matter what. The blade does not fit the lock correctly the angle is way off.Or the liners are to thin to hold thr blade in the lock position .It acts like a slippie. Any help would be appreciated. I know this is not a DDR-3 question but it would not let me start a new thread. Before i forget to mention assemble right out of the box .

Tags
art knife, blade, fixed blade, forge, hunting knife, knife, knives