MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 04-02-2001, 07:55 AM
MaxTheKnife

Zinc Daddy Blacksmith Knife

This one like to have killed me! Ignorance and a windy day were contributing factors to a bad case of zinc poisoning. So I learned that the SHARP file company zinc plates their files the hard way. When I started getting a metallic taste in the back of my throat and getting dizzy I knew what I'd done. I had smelled something funny earlier, but didn't pay it much attention. I got a serious headache and started feeling like i was going to pass out or blow chunks or both. I stopped forging and went to the house and chewed up several chewable calcium tabs my wife keeps around and drank several big glasses of water and laid down in my easy chair for a while (spelled - a long while).

Then, like the knothead I am, right back to the forge! I put on my respirator and finished forging that beast out and finally burned off all the zinc. I guess I won't be forging any damascus for a while

This is the largest blade I've forged so far. It was a bugger getting a good heat treat on it, but I finally did after two quenching episodes with normalizing and straightening in between. I used pre-heated brine with an oil slick on top. I'm going to have to rig up a pipe with holes in it for the air/fire grate for big blades like that. Oh well, live and learn
Old 04-02-2001, 08:23 AM
Kevin Isler

#### Max that's a big beauty! I love that look of leaving some of the file remain too.
Those zinc fumes are nothing to mess with from what Bog Iron has told me. You should probably see a Doc. It can do permanant damage.
Old 04-02-2001, 09:50 AM
Dana Acker

A Blacksmith's Bowie--That's just about FAAAAAAR OUUUUUUT! Really cool knife. Get better Bro.
Old 04-03-2001, 02:11 PM
Dana Acker

Too cool a knife to go to Page 2 too soon.

Tags
blade, forge, forging, knife