MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 05-01-2007, 10:54 AM
Skilled

...I have been thinking about this project. It seems like we are probably gonna go with either making it up like a 9 inch LONG Model 3 with a single hilt or as a 9 inch thin blade fighter with a double hilt. I think it would look prettiest made up like a 9 inch Model 3 (perhaps with a stag handle) but it would be more extreme and mean looking with the double hilt fighter look (perhaps with a black micarta flat side four fingergrip handle to look sorta like a Model 14). I could be happy either way but what do you all think? If anyone is still wanting to make it up as a carving set or to make a shorter blade Model 6 then please do say so soon because I think that train is about to leave the station.
Jeff
Old 05-01-2007, 11:21 AM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to RedElk
I'm leaning toward a 5-inch blade length. For some reason I think a 9-inch fighter would be all looks and little action, like a decorative Marine saber.

Oh, and as to the "where have I been" part I've been checking in, but keep missing the milestones on the builds. Either nothing has happened since my last check, or the rest of the options are discussed, chosen, and numbers drawn. Oh well, that's life. I'm not complaining, I have two new users I just carried with me to Kentucky for a traditional archery event. Until I got there, I was not aware of just how fond recurve and longbow folks are of knives. LOL.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:33 PM
Skilled

Great to hear from ya' again! I don't think the "fighter" idea is gonna wash..but we're just discussing optional possibilities right now. As soon as I catch my breath and get back in the office, we'll get serious about it. Best, Tha "Captain"

Old 05-04-2007, 08:16 AM
Steel Addict

Talking

I usually agree with Jeff, but I think that on this build, I would Love to see a 5". As I stated earlier, I do have a 9", and it works great for carving, since I have never carried it outdoors. I do think that a 5" would be plenty of length for carving, and then if you wanted to carry it, it would "be just the right length"!

Welcome back RedElk!

Kent B. Warnberg
Old 05-04-2007, 05:00 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to Raindog
I still think that a 9" sheath knife is the way to go. I mean, we have many builds in which to build a 5" knife. Other than Bowies, when will we get another chance at a 9"?

- Ronald Reagan
Old 05-04-2007, 10:09 PM
Skilled

Let's get a leg up!

After some "orthopedic" visits, xrays, medicines and a geniune overall pain in the..well: knee and leg, I am back and ready for a "roll call" on blade length "only".
O.K. A few explanations. We have 3 blade lengths to choose from. As has been recently noted, this is our only chance at the long, 9", one. The other lengths are 4 1/2" or 5". You do not need to respond yet. I will do my absolute best to post pics of all 3 lengths, probably over the weekend. This depends upon our northern "Moose", our southern "Elephant" or our western....well? I don't know what that guy is exactly...Maybe a surfer dude! I used to surf..that was...let's see....about 80 pounds ago. It would take a small skiff these days!
I will email some pics. I need to find some and probably take a few more. Mods: Let me know who "volunteers" to help out with this and I will proceed accordingly. In the meantime, please feel free to voice your opinions and preferences. I find it interesting and pleasing that we can do this in a civil manner. I have seen my share of un-civil behavior of late, believe me. Anyway: Sound off...Your own personal experience and pics would be an enormous help. This build, although at first glance may seem quite easy, has quite a few ways to go!!! Best for now, Capt. Chris Stanaback

Old 05-04-2007, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The "Captain"
This depends upon our northern "Moose", our southern "Elephant" or our western....well? I don't know what that guy is exactly...Maybe a surfer dude!
Cap,

It you're referring to me, the Pacific is too #### cold in No. Calif to surf as far as I'm concerned. I used to dive for abalone and spearfish for ling cod in a quarter inch wetsuit, but that was many moons ago when my circulation was more robust I see a lot of surfers out in the Santa Cruz area, but most of those guys are half my age! If you have to hang an animal handle on me, I'll give you a few choices: We have a raccoon who comes into the house through the cat door at least one a week and makes a mess. We have a flock of wild turkeys that walk down the street frequently, a bunch of deer that wipe out my wifes roses on a consistant basis and a fox that suns himself on the neighbor's deck on occasion. I'd be happy to post your pics, but I'm on a flight to Taiwan tomorrow morning at 1:30 AM and won't be able to get to it for a while.

I hope your knee and leg get better soon.

Take care,

Ron
Old 05-05-2007, 09:59 AM

Hi Cap!

Good luck with your leg!

I'll be happy to post your photos. Just send them along when you're ready and I'll do my best to put them up a.s.a.p.

With regard to the beach bum I'd be inclined to dub him Rocky (after the flying squirrel, not the fighters). I know Bullwinkle thinks very highly of him.

Et oui mon Capitane, it is a pleasure dealing with my fellow RMK buffs in an amicable and civilized manner.

Cheers!

Moosehead

Old 05-05-2007, 10:47 AM
Skilled

Huh??O.K.??

Moose,
Yeah...and,uh...O.K. I like dealing with decent-minded folks as well...But...Moose: Ya' need to seriously repair your "spell check"!! Best, The "Captain"

Old 05-08-2007, 10:04 PM
Skilled

I'm not ignoring you guys, just lurking.

RKS #4868
NRA & TSRA Life Member
Deep East Texas Life Resident (so far)
Old 05-09-2007, 11:45 AM
Steel Addict

Talking

Hi Friends,

Have we decided on a Length Yet???

Kent B. Warnberg
RKS #109
Old 05-09-2007, 12:55 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Shot
Hi Friends,

Have we decided on a Length Yet???

Kent B. Warnberg
RKS #109
Yep, 9 inches. Of course some people are still thinking and talking about it. The long blade is what makes this model so cool.
Jeff
Old 05-09-2007, 06:05 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to Raindog
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclarksnakes
Yep, 9 inches. Of course some people are still thinking and talking about it. The long blade is what makes this model so cool.
Jeff
My girlfriend was reading your message over my shoulder and I heard her mutter something about wanting 9" too. So I guess that is another vote for the "big one."

gary

- Ronald Reagan
Old 05-09-2007, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Raindoogie wrote:
My girlfriend was reading your message over my shoulder and I heard her mutter something about wanting 9" too. So I guess that is another vote for the "big one."
I won't touch this one with a ten inch, er...foot pole.

Cheers!

Moosehead

Old 05-09-2007, 09:54 PM
Enthusiast

You know i'm always coming up short! 5 inch for me.

Tags
blade, fishing knife, forge, hunting knife, knife, knives