MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 04-27-2007, 09:55 PM
Skilled

Sweet indeed Byrdguy! Very nice setup. Nicely balanced look and man, I bet that would take a razor's edge. That handle is very dark lookin and classy.

seuss
Old 04-28-2007, 12:07 PM
Skilled

Byrdguy,
...That knife is BEAUTIFUL but, I still think that for this Model 6 project we should be thinking way outside the box and spend some time making something really different. The first time I held a 9 inch Model 6 in my hands I was immediately thinking that the blade would be really special with the hardware to make it a big outdoor knife. The 9 inch Model 6 blade has it all. It is long and has that sexy Model 3 style curve but it is not nearly as heavy as any of the other long Randall blades.
Jeff
Old 04-28-2007, 01:05 PM
Steel Addict

I'm with ya, Jeff. I was "just showin off"!! I like the 9" length myself and think we can come up with something really cool in the way of a fishing/field special.
Old 04-28-2007, 07:57 PM
Enthusiast

I would love to see you guys gut a deer with a 9 inch knife or would love to see the fish you guys are catching that calls for the need of a 9 inch filet knife. But as I stated earlier, majority is what matters. Guess my problem is that I am too practical.
Old 04-28-2007, 09:47 PM
Skilled

Double, the guys who want a filleting knife with a nine inch blade all live on the coast or very close so they are fishing in the BIG waters. If I stacked a day's catch where I fish and stabbed them through, a nine inch blade wouldn't even sink to the hilt . Filleting bluegill with a knife like that would be like hunting humming birds with a howitzer.

seuss
Old 04-28-2007, 10:04 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seussbrother
Double, the guys who want a filleting knife with a nine inch blade all live on the coast or very close so they are fishing in the BIG waters. If I stacked a day's catch where I fish and stabbed them through, a nine inch blade wouldn't even sink to the hilt . Filleting bluegill with a knife like that would be like hunting humming birds with a howitzer.

seuss
The most fun is watching the guys who bring their bass boats & fish the marsh & inlets, try to fillet red fish with their freshwater knives! You hear a tink sound & look over at some guy holding a handle! Then he looks around to see who's laughing!

Old 04-28-2007, 10:23 PM
Skilled

David, ya mean they actually leave their battery operated, serrated blade, filleting knives at home? Guys around here swear by them and talk of cleaning 60 fish at a sitting with them in NO time. I'm too old fashioned I guess. I prefer an actual, real knife when I catch something big enough to bring home and eat. Usually the #10-7". I fly fish ponds and small lakes from the bank. Peace, quiet, relaxation and serenity! A whole different world!

seuss
Old 04-28-2007, 11:00 PM
Steel Addict

Yeah they leave them at home if they're smart, salt water eats those up! The first time they bring those 3 weeks later & they don't work. I'll never understand why they use them! If electric knives are so great why aren't they used in seafood markets, hell most of the people who own them can't even sharpen them.

Large blade for me!

Old 04-29-2007, 10:03 AM
Skilled

"Captain"?????

Where do you think the "Captain" comes from? I run a guide service, crew. I love reading posts from folks that seldom, if ever clean over a hundred fish in one day...and sometimes twice in one day. Interesting: indeed.
I use an electric knife "exclusively" on these days. There is nothing left to throw away that the cat could get, and it leaves you with a small breast bone (ribbing, if you will) to sort out with a paring / boning knife. I use "non-electric" filet knives for small amounts of fish...and they do an inferior job! I still use them. The set-up time to get the power cord out, etc. dictates whether or not I use the electric knife or not.
Point is: It all comes down, to me anyway, of which is best for the given job at hand. Ya'll need to get a hundred bluegills or specs (some call 'em "crappie") done for a charter that is leaving shortly and waiting for you to finish your "job" before they hit the road..or get on a plane..etc. I believe you would quickly change your tune!
I totally agree with the fact that the 9" filet knife is too long except for the largest of cleaning jobs. I have one and a small one (5") to match. I use the 5" 95% of the time. I use the 5" to carve the turkey!! Just more to think about. Best for now, The "Captain"

Old 04-29-2007, 11:00 AM
Enthusiast

Sounds like the Captain suffers from my same problem, he's too practical! Why build something that can't be admired as well as be possibly used. A 9 inch hunter or fillet knife is way to big for me.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:25 AM
Steel Addict

I have to agree with the Captain and doublethink98 on this one. I know that there are very few occasions that I personally would ever use a 9 in. blade. Since I am one of those rare people who actually use a Randall, I would opt for something more practical. As the Captain will tell you, the RMKs that I mainly use at the hunting camp are a Denmark Special and a 10-3 so a 9 in. blade would be way too long for my personal use.
Wayne

Old 04-30-2007, 07:32 AM
Steel Addict

Talking

Friends,

I have a great 9" set now, and love it. But I mainly use it just for carving meat off of the grill. I have never thought of using the set as a "fillet" knife, because to me, it would be ..just too long! I thought that building a 9" would be the "cats meow", but I am now.."double thinking" this! I am now leaning towards a 5" blade.

Kent B. Warnberg
RKS #109
Old 04-30-2007, 08:00 AM
Steel Addict

I have a 9" and a 4 1/2 inch 6, so a nice 5" would be great. I'd still like to see a fighter if we do go with 9". That might be pretty unusual, never seen one my self. Nice long thin light blade heck it might even make a good fighter as well as look really wicked.
Panhead
Old 04-30-2007, 08:30 AM
Enthusiast

For a user,I really like something that rotates off my wrist with ease. So I prefer a maximum blade length of 6". Having never carried a long bladed knife though,It may just look spectacular dressed up in double hilt hardware,butt cap and saw teeth. that's my Monday morning thoughts with coffee. Tom # 3081
Old 04-30-2007, 02:32 PM
Skilled

Sawteeth?

Sawteeth are not available on a Model #6 in any blade length. Sorry: Best, The "Captain"

Tags
blade, fishing knife, forge, hunting knife, knife, knives