MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 03-08-2007, 11:46 PM
Steel Addict

Would you actually USE a Randall????

All of us on this forum have an interest in Randall Made Knives. Some of us collect them just for fun, some of us collect them as investments. We all know that they are nice to look at, nice to hold, fun to show our friends. Some of them are all tricked out, engraved, scrimmed,and just plain fancy.
BUT some of us actually take those pretty, nice, new Randalls and.........would you believe
USE THEM??!!!!!! (Believe it or not, they really do work great for cutting things) I mean, we get them dirty, bloody, cut things with them and get them dull and then of all things, scratch those nice blades when we SHARPEN them. One of us that I know well has so many users that he seems to have a different user for every occasion. I mean no way would he use the same Randall to gut a deer and skin it!! That would require at least TWO specialized Randalls. (Of course that would be the one and only Captain Chris). You have seen a few photos from our hunting camp with the Captain and me getting our RMKs dirty cleaning pheasants or deer, but we also use them for everything around the camp from cutting rope to cutting cheese or bologna !!!! (for you city guys, bologna is Alabama Round Steak)
It would be fun to see the Randalls that YOU use and to know what you use them for. Surely the Captain and I are not the only ones who put these pieces of steel to work. So come on folks, post pictures of those users and tell us what you use them for. We would love to see them.
Wayne

Old 03-09-2007, 08:26 AM
Enthusiast

Hi,I used a Bowles skinner on a bison last December. Worked like it was designed for thar task. It is in stag. I also use a Pathfinder in stag for anything smaller. ####ed if I am able to post a picture though. Tom # 3081
Old 03-09-2007, 09:28 AM

Great idea for a thread, Wayne! I gave up hunting deer ~ 30 years ago, but I still fish and do a number of other things where a knife comes in handy. I have a mid / late 50's 3-6 that's my user (It's about as close to my Dad's knife as I could get). At some point in it's history it was neglected and got pitted pretty bad. Someone re-ground it, but some of the pits were so deep they still show. No matter, the handle is still tight and it functions just as well as a new knife. The sheath that came with it is a very early Johnson (I believe a replacement for the original that got messed up), so I picked up a new sheath from Perry that fits like a glove. I never worry about getting it scratched or dinged or whatever. It's a "freeing" feeling that enhances the enjoyment of using it.

Best,

Ron

Last edited by BoBlade; 03-12-2007 at 05:10 PM.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:59 AM
Skilled

Yes....

Tideman,
In answer to your thread question...YES: I would actually "use" a Randall knife! Hard to believe...but true. The "Captain"

Old 03-12-2007, 05:41 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBlade
I have a mid / late 50's 3-6 that's my user.
Best,
Ron
I don't know Ron. The hang tags kinda bust this one being a user.

RKS #4868
NRA & TSRA Life Member
Deep East Texas Life Resident (so far)
Old 03-12-2007, 06:49 PM
Skilled

Captain Chris,
Would I actually USE a Randall????
Yes, especially if someone was trying to take it away from me!

Got bandages?

RKS #4868
NRA & TSRA Life Member
Deep East Texas Life Resident (so far)
Old 03-12-2007, 09:39 PM
Steel Addict

Tom,

Priceless!!!

Old 03-13-2007, 02:09 AM
Steel Addict

I got a #26 I ordered to be a user that I have been using for a little less than a year now.

It has a black micarta handle, 01 steel, thumb notches, wrist thong, and black and brass spacers as well as my name etched in the blade.

So far I have used it for cutting palm fronds to cover up my tree stand, cleaned a few squirrels, and a few dozen frogs as well as using it around camp and at home. NO DEER YET, maybe next year!

This is it when it was new. I'll try to get an updated pic of it here tomorrow.

RKS #5224
Old 03-13-2007, 08:17 AM
Steel Addict

Here is the updated pic.

RKS #5224
Old 03-13-2007, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomthbomb
I don't know Ron. The hang tags kinda bust this one being a user.
Good morning, Tom. Actually that's the TOE TAG from the LAST guy who insinuated I didn't use a Randall
Old 03-13-2007, 12:00 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBlade
Good morning, Tom. Actually that's the TOE TAG from the LAST guy who insinuated I didn't use a Randall
Just a minute, have to clean the coffee snot off my keyboard. That was funny!!! It seems to me that a small percentage of new Randalls ARE being purchased to be used. I just wonder whether the percentage is 5% or 25%? The number going to active duty military with relatively quick delivery must be a fairly large number. I bought my first one as a user. There must be a fair number that are purchased on the secondary market to be used. I do still use a few of my middle age RMKs.
JC

Last edited by jclarksnakes; 03-13-2007 at 12:10 PM.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:33 PM
Steel Addict

Talking

Friends,

Hope I'm Not in the minority, but I use a good share of mine. I have carried the 1st thread knife, (#3-5") for the past two seasons deer hunting. Out in the yard/woods I carry either a #8 or a #26 with a #25 handle. They all "just seem to fit" just right!

Yup.. I do have some that I may never use. My #1 that Doug (Silverknife) put Airborne wings in may not get used. And a few that are really gussied up.

Is anybody going to use their RKS knives??? If you are, and then want to sell your #3 or #4, let me know!!

I wonder what Bo would think if he knew of all of the Randalls that are just "Safe Queens".

Kent B. Warnberg

RKS #109
Old 03-13-2007, 01:56 PM
Registered

Would you actually USE a Randall????...YES!!!!!!

ABSOLUTELY!

I use my Stoddard Special, #5 and a #11-3" all the time on backpacking and camping trips. I might use a cool 10-3" I just aquired!
My #18 is great but it's like carrying a sword, so I don't really use it anymore.
I don't use my #1s and I haven't used any of my RKS club knives, although I've thought about using the 2nd and 3rd club knives...but I'm not sure I should!?
What do you all think about using the RKS club knives?

Tony LaPetri
RKS #1885
Old 03-13-2007, 02:13 PM
Skilled

Captain Chris' Randall "Users"

2-shot,
I also have a Model #3-5" that I have had the Randall shop "adjust" for me to fit my needs as a "user". Originally ordered to be a giveaway at the Orlando gun & knife show, with one glance at that stag, I knew better. The door prize was a "different" Randall knife.
I had the shop install thumb notches, a compass and name etching. I then had Greg Gutcher make me a special "no hone" waxed sheath, with a drain hole! It's a keeper and a user.
I also dug up a "Stanaback Special" I had buried in my western hunting grip. Usually set aside for Texas/ New Mexico trips, I have a pack with a bunch of crap in it. Here is a couple of quick pics of a 4 5/8", "Stanaback Special", stainless steel, thumb notches, brass single hilt, brass spacers, butt plate, stag handle, slab-sided, with finger grips located "underneath" for ambidextrous carry and use.' Something unusual? Yep: Can ya'll spot it?...to be continued...Capt. Chris Stanaback

P.S. I almost forgot. As most of ya'll already know, I am "pictorially challenged". Tide has the pics and will, hopefully, post them up..Thanks, Wayne, CCS

Last edited by The "Captain"; 03-13-2007 at 02:15 PM.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:46 PM
Enthusiast

Waiting on my 8-4 carbon with Stag that is getting dressed up at the shop to get back so I can make her my first user. Also know of an elk guide that has used a 5-4 carbon with stag to dress a few hundred elk over the past years. Now thats alot of blood and guts!

Tags
blade, forging, knife, knives