MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 12-02-2001, 06:07 PM
JossDelage

I made a work bench...

...with 2X4's and plywood. This will be where I finish the knives, polish them, mount the handles, etc - non-forge work. Should I sceal it with wax, linseed oil or something? What type of products do you recommend?

Thanks,

JD
Old 12-02-2001, 06:39 PM
Joe Walters

My advice is to paint it. I like a flat-white paint that won't reflect light back into my eyes, but lets me see any small part I might have dropped on it.
Old 12-02-2001, 08:35 PM
WinDancer

I built mine a couple years ago, with a 1/16th steel top.

I painted it with the Hammerite paint. The only problem is that I couldn't wait the six weeks for it to cure.

My next one will have a plain formica top- easy to clean and holds up pretty well unless you hammer on it

Dave
Old 12-02-2001, 09:46 PM
Baltes189

table

Unless the table is going to be exposed to the elements it really is personal pereference whether or not you paint it. (if it stays out side and is rained on alot the plywood will warp and start to come apart, unless its marine grade ply.)
Old 12-06-2001, 01:53 PM
sjaqua

Table

Any ideas on how to make a really strong table/bench that can take some pounding?

What I want is a table to support my post vise, swage block and some anvil stakes. My current idea is 4x4 legs inlet to support an outer table frame of 2x4. The table top it's self will be 2x4's set edge up. I figure on notching some of them to built a slight recess for the swage block and cut slots to form square holes for anvil stakes.

Scott B. Jaqua
Old 12-07-2001, 12:25 AM
MIKE KOLLER

Re: Table

Scott,
Sound like a sturdy table you have planned already,I can only suggest that you ose some all-tread and tie all the 2x for your top together.Should eliminate some springyness or bounce.Bolt or screw the frame to the legs as well,stronger then nails.

Tags
blade, forge, knives