MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 06-27-2006, 09:09 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehead
Well folks, because I want to be able to open all the hate mail I receive with a vengeance, I've decided that I vote for a six inch blade, stainless of course. Cheers
Moosehead
Moosehead, you can open bigger hate mail with an 8" blade, stainless of course.
ttb

RKS #4868
NRA & TSRA Life Member
Deep East Texas Life Resident (so far)
Old 06-27-2006, 09:25 PM
Skilled

Arturo Fuente

Tall....and you like Fuente "Opus" X. Not bad. One thing nobody has touched on yet, much to my dismay, is "carry". Everyone talks about an 8" for this and a 6" for that, but nobody has really given the "carry" any respect! Too bad. I know all ya'll are just gonna make this Stiletto a closet queen, more than likely, but "carry" should still be discussed. O.K., So let's discuss it.
Me first? Well now, That's not fair. I want to hear from all ya'll. (By the way, that's southern plural for ya'll....ya'll is singular otherwise, or "otherways" down here). I'll "start" this discussion, but that's it. Else we get one person's opinion.
"CARRY", meaning under "ALL" conditions, is a bit tricky to figure out and talk about. The new guy, besides liking very fine cigars, is real tall, so he wants a "tall" blade. O.K., but what about "carry". Here's a question: Has anyone thought about, regardless of "height", sitting in a vehicle, perhaps even with bucket seats? Most tall folks have long legs, not necessarily a hise rise in the waist. Only a very high rise waist will be able to carry an 8" sheath knife while sitting in a vehicle. A 6" works much better...5"...better still! Just one scenario, but we are trying to "build" a Model #2 while taking into account everyone's point of view.
This, by no means, suggests that I want this crew to decide on a 5" Randall Model #2. I don't want to "suggest" any blade length: Just point out the good and bad of each. Now: All ya'lls' turn! (That's a redneck possesive plural). By the way: Once a month I go to Ybor City, in downtown Tampa, and buy my cigars from Arturo himself..Maybe a "photo opt" will arise on 1 such visit. I tell my friends: I could do heroine cheaper than my cigar habit!! Best, The "Captain"

Old 06-27-2006, 10:02 PM
Steel Addict

Captain
I'm really a little guy so they all are to long for me to do much sitting. Because of my Short Man complex I still want an 8" blade, makes me feel bigger. I also have a Cigar habit and yep it can be costly. Went on a vaction in the Dominican Republic just so I could get cheaper cigars. Bought the nicest Cohibas and Davidoffs. Um very tasty! Anyway we could always have Greg make a very nice shoulder holster style sheath. 8" Rules.
Panhead
Old 06-28-2006, 07:51 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by The "Captain"
"carry" should still be discussed. O.K., So let's discuss it.
!! Best, The "Captain"
Captain, I touched on this in my post above. I was just not "obvious" about what I meant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomthbomb
I also agree that a shorter blade would make a better "user". But a "user" for what?
In my convoluted mind there is only one purpose for a #2, the obvious one.
If that is the intended use a 4" blade might fit the bill a little better and possibly be leagal too as mentioned above.

RKS #4868
NRA & TSRA Life Member
Old 06-28-2006, 09:58 AM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to Raindog
I'll stick with 8". In true redneck form, 8" will fit just fine under the dash of my truck or in my saddlebag.

- Ronald Reagan
Old 06-28-2006, 10:01 PM
Skilled

I'm stickin' with the 8" too but if the #2 had just a little flatter grip I would be tempted to change my mind. I would like to hang one upside down on a lanyard around my neck (in a sheath of course).

RKS #4868
NRA & TSRA Life Member
Old 06-28-2006, 10:51 PM
Skilled

Relax

Relax, Dave,
By "Carry" I was not referring to concealed carry or any laws! I meant the ability, plus and minus to physically "carry" it, be it for field work, duty work or recreation. By bringing the vehicle angle into the mix and talking about the inability of the longer blades to be worn while sitting in one, without having the butt dig into your arm pit, or whatever, I was trying to start a dialogue on the pros and cons of the different blades..nobody had touched on that.. Easy: This is supposed to be fun. Best, Captain Chris Stanaback

Old 06-28-2006, 11:01 PM
Skilled

Personal experience

From my experience, which does "not" include an 8" blade, I have carried a 4", 5" and 6" Model #2 at one time or the other. With the exception of gun and knife shows, I have never carried a 4". It was carried at some of these events "just for show", if you will. The 5" has seen a bit more use, but not much. I have worn a full-tang black micarta Model 2 in 6" hog hunting on the ground, in the palmettos, with my bow before. It carried super: Not too heavy and I felt I had enough there. I have stuck a couple of pigs that were down with the 6" one and...no problems> Great penetration!....for what it's worth.My desk sees the 5" more than my hip! Best, Captain Chris Stanaback

Old 06-29-2006, 07:55 AM
Skilled

Double 4's

Dave,
I also carry a S&W Model #29. Mine is an unfluted cylinder model called a "Classic". I don't know if you remember them or not: Bright blue: color case hardened target hammer and trigger: Full underlug running under the barrel: Red ramp, white outline sights: Mine differs from yours just a bit. Although I have owned 3", 3 1/2", 4", 5", 6", 6 1/2" and 8 3/8" barrels in this model, the one that feels right, both in all-around weight and best for recoil, is the 5". Though not as pretty I carry this one with Hogue grips. It has finished off it's share of hogs and downed deer in it's day.
I agree on the 8" Model #2 being very close to the original size and length, and it very well may win out in this build, if for no other reason than the fact that not too many are coming to the aid of the "others". Best, Captain Chris Stanaback

Old 06-29-2006, 11:12 AM
Steel Addict

Talking

Cpt,

Fun post..so far! I'm probably in the minority, but I will stick with the 5" SS for blade lenght. The reason after much long thought... (about 1-2 minutes) I think that When I Win this one, it will sit on my desk, and I will use it for a letter/bill opener. Were goign to have to get a great looking handle, when we get to that part.

For carry knives, I think that their are other model #'s that would get carried first before t this one, for me.

Am past carrying wheel guns, their now safe queens. Now carry a Sig 229. Every Day Carry---at work.

Kent

RKS #109
Old 06-29-2006, 02:48 PM
Skilled

Cap,
...Your post about carryability and also posts about overall usability of middle length Model 2s has got me thinking that I want to change my vote to 6 inches. Rather than making the typical big impressive long safe queen or shorter letter opener I think we should make a very different very carryable and very usable 6 inch Model 2. I am thinking that we should think outside the box and make this a good all around user knife. Very doable but the Model 2 is not the Model that comes to mind when we talk about the do it all Model Randall.
jc
Old 06-29-2006, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlrdNo3F
I also consider the 8-inch blade as being "closest to original" (i.e., WWII-vintage). As such, I chose/voted for the 8-inch blade.
I don't know where y'all get the idea that an "original" WWII vintage stiletto is 8"! Bo offered this model in 6, 7 & 8 inches from '43 through '45. The majority of WWII Model 2's I've seen have been close to 7". I say "close" because Bo wasn't a stickler for exact blade length when his main concern was just getting a good fighting knife in the hands of as many soldiers as possible. Many were right around 6 3/4 - 6 7/8" just to make SURE they would fit in a sheath set up for 7" (If a knife is a wee bit too long for a sheath, the hilt is not supported by the throat of the sheath and the blade tip will sever the stitching).

My vote is for 6"

Ron
Old 06-29-2006, 04:06 PM

Some of you may be interested in the WWII Fairbairn-Sykes dagger which was the inspiration for Bo Randall's "Stiletto".

Check out Gaddis' book: Chapter Three, pages 70-71.

And take a look at this thread posted last August:

http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=30374

Cheers!

David

P.S. The blade length on the F/S dagger was about seven inches.

Old 06-30-2006, 12:41 AM
Skilled

W.w. Ii

Before my time, Ron, but the only example that I owned for any length of time measured right at 7 1/2", give or take, and the current model #2 in 8" blade length, which I have much more familiarity, feels quite close overall. They are both too long for my perfect carry scenario, but "way cool" looking. I order more 6 and 7" model #2's for a couple of reasons...and they may not be the ones that you all might think. Popularity is not the key factor. I often make things up just a tad outside the box. I think that is what makes them a bit more unique. I order 7" #2's because they will also fit in a Model #16-7" nylon sheath pretty close to perfect. 6" and 7" blades also require a smaller piece of custom handle material, even though they "sell" for the same price as an 8" model. A little savings here and there, plus...If I want to make up a pair, i.e. and Model #1 and #2 to match, the 6 or 7" work out well. Just a bit more to think about. Let's hear some more reasons for your preferences, crew! Best, Captain Chris Stanaback

Old 07-02-2006, 05:23 PM
Steel Addict

Talking

I'll stick with the 7" stainless blade. Once we add the leather handle, brass hilt and cap, black spacers and a black mod a sheath I'll have a great set. Then I'll just need you guys to let me win again.

Steve

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knives