MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 02-21-2006, 03:41 PM

I'll also go for the Stanaback special.
But, like Rigby said, with stainless steel.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:06 PM
Skilled

....For once I agree with my buddy the Moosehead on something. The shorter Stanaback Special is my choice. No hone sheath will work good for EDC.
Jeff
Old 02-21-2006, 04:24 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to Raindog
Hey! Is that the Stanaback Special? Wait and let me jump on that wagon!

- Ronald Reagan
Old 02-21-2006, 08:02 PM
Enthusiast

As the proud owner of 7 Stanaback Specials, including four of the 4" variety, I understand the growing consensus for the 4", but my vote is for a #26.

For me, small, light and thin is the ticket for an every day knife.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:02 PM
Enthusiast

Hey everybody, I cant belive nobody put in for the gambler. Sorry have not posted in a while. We have been remolding the old house. We gutted the basement and found out the basement wall was leaning in 4 inches. This sucks . Anyway I will not be in this build. Anyway I thought I will through an idea out about the gambler.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:16 AM
Enthusiast

After finally seeing a few Stanaback Specials up close and feeling them in the hand, thanks to my friend Mike, I would also vote for this model as an "Every Day" project. When it is all decided, we need to start talking about what handle and all. I learn a lot from these posts, thanks Captain.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:26 AM
Steel Addict

Everyday Carry

I could go with the Stanaback Special. Stainless and no hone sheath all sound good to me. Looks like we may have a winner here.
Panhead
Old 02-22-2006, 03:55 PM
Steel Addict

I will also go with the 4" Stanaback Special.
FYI: It is ONLY available in Stainless Steel. The Sheath for the 4" is Black with a Basketweave Pattern & No Hone Pouch.

Old 02-22-2006, 05:00 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhwwlmc
I will also go with the 4" Stanaback Special.
FYI: It is ONLY available in Stainless Steel. The Sheath for the 4" is Black with a Basketweave Pattern & No Hone Pouch.
You are correct sir!

BTW, you (Mike Walters) sold me my first Randall Made Knife. My wife has some ill feelings about that. I just don't understand it!
(The photo below is not the one I bought from you. I believe it was a #14 with n/s hilt and stag with finger grooves.)

How about this knife with black micarta?

RKS #4868
NRA & TSRA Life Member
Deep East Texas Life Resident (so far)

Last edited by tomthbomb; 07-20-2007 at 07:49 PM.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:48 PM

Old 02-23-2006, 12:52 PM
Steel Addict

Tom,
Quote:
BTW, you sold me my first Randall Made Knife.
You aren't the only "Randall Newbie" I have Broke In.

Quote:
My wife has some ill feelings about that. I just don't understand it!
I am sorry to hear that there may have some "Marital Issues" over that First Randall purchase. I see that those "Issues" have not slowed down your subsequent Randall Purchases though!!! If you need to continue Blaming Me for this Addiction you have, so be it.

Quote:
(I believe it was a #14 with n/s hilt and stag with finger grooves.)
Seems as though you have so many now that you aren't even sure what you Bought First???

Quote:
How about this knife with black micarta?
As far as the "EDC" goes, I think you might be on to something here Tom.

Last edited by mhwwlmc; 02-23-2006 at 01:09 PM.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:41 PM

If I have a vote, it's for the shorter Stanaback. I picked this one up from Perry a while ago intending to make a user out of it (Talk about feeling good in the hand!). No matter how I tried, I couldn't bring myself to mess with it's perfection. Ended up trading it to Dick and he has it up for sale now (Whatsamatta, Dick: You a woosie like me?)

Best,

Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stanaback.jpg (18.9 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by BoBlade; 02-23-2006 at 02:48 PM.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:54 PM
Steel Addict

I have a hard time using any of them I guess I am a W----e

(Whatsamatta, Dick: You a woosie like me?)

Old 02-26-2006, 08:15 PM
Skilled

I "hear" ya'!!

O.K., O.K.,
I hear ya'. A "Stanaback Special" it is. 2 lengths are available. A 4" and a 4 5/8", but it appears that the 4" has the nod by a wide margin, if not a total landslide. With regards to the other great models mentioned for an EDC: Well: Maybe we'll get around to a building project for those models in the future. For the present "Every Day Carry" Randall knife building project we are going to proceed with a 4", stainless steel (that's the only steel available), "Stanaback" special. This short "Bowie" clip Randall is available with just about all of the popular options, even a few bit and obscure ones. The false edge comes sharpened. A brass single hilt and matching spacers, i.e.: brass and black or brass and red, are "standard" on this "Stanaback". Leather handle and duralumin butt cap finish off the standard knife, but many handle options and materials are available. I also have some CW (Randall's code for "customer's wood") available. CW does not have to be, in fact, "wood". Micarta, stags, laminates, G-10: All can be used. Single or double hilts are available, but for this project we should probably go with a single, although I will not rule out a double. Nickel-silver hardware, both metal butt plates and all 3 butt caps are available. Several "styles" of butt caps are available. Compass installaton, wrist thongs, name plates, etching, etc. are all available. In other words:WE AIN'T DONE, BY A LONG, LONG SHOT!!
The sheath is set in stone. Black basket weaved with no hone pocket and a diagonal keeper strap. A "Certificate of Authenticity" is also furnished at no additional charge. This is additonal on other Randall models coming from me.
O.K. I think you folks have enough information to start the "trim work" on this building project. Let's see what you can come up with!! Good luck "selling" your choice to the rest of the crew. Best, Captain Chris Stanaback
P.S. I thank everyone for their input to this project. It is running far ahead of all the others for amount of thread posts, viewings, and more importantly: new or previously unheard from members participating. I hope you folks truly want a "Stanaback Special"-4" for the foundation of this splendid project, and aren't just trying to flatter me. I "am" flattered, don't mis-understand that, but I also think this finished project will prove to be a splendid example of an every day carry knife. It would "not" have been my choice!!
P.P.S. A week or so on this part. CCS

Old 02-26-2006, 10:19 PM
Enthusiast

Since my sales skills were inadequate to move the herd to a #26, I'll offer a lightweight configuration:

NS Hilt (not sure if it is lighter than brass, but maintenance is easier for me)
Handle material - the lightest wood, is that maple?
NO butt cap
Wrist Thong

Tags
blade, fixed blade, folding knife, forge, hunting knife, knife, knives