MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > KNet Classifieds :: For-Sale Forums > General ::: Items and Bargains

General ::: Items and Bargains Good deals on useful items for sale by Knife Network members

Old 12-08-2005, 12:56 PM

Cardboard Knife Boxes

I hope you don't mind, this is a across post from BritishBlades.com At this stage I am trying to get a feel for demand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDP-189
I Need a Supply of Knife Boxes
I don't know about y'all, but I always have problems looking for packaging suitable for knives. Knives are an odd shape and most boxes or bubblewrap envelopes are too short or too wide. I need a supply of boxes that will protect even an unsheathed knife.

I have an idea...

The industrial building where I work is mostly populated with printers and packaging manufacturers. With sufficient quantities, I can do a run of boxes done to my specification.

I plan to have two types of boxes made:

Type A for Mid-Sized Fixed Blades
This will be for fixed blades and be based on a Northstar box. It is made of corrugated card, white on the outside and measuring approximately 56mm x 56mm x 270mm, opening along one side.

Type B for Folders
The other will be for folders, similar to the standard ones that contain Benchmades, Spydercos and SOGS, etc. I will use the Spyderco box as a template, because they last longer with repeated openings. They are to be made of plain white card and measure about 60mm x 22mm x 156mm. I might get some thin sponge packing material like Spyderco uses as a bottom liner.

Many Uses
As both box types will be white, you can affix your own printed logo labels, or easily write on them to denote the contents. They will be suitable for both makers, traders to ship knifes in or for collectors to store and organise their knives in an orderly manner and reduce wear and tear on the original boxes.

But How Much?
Pricing is a bit of a chicken-and-egg question, because it depends on how many we order. I'll get a quote based roughly on what people ask for here, and assuming that I can sell maybe double that number later. I guess that both boxes will cost a few pennies each. Today I bought a small quantity of huge 290mm x 400mm x 370mm storage boxes for 50p each. They are 10x bigger, and stapled!

Shipping will be another factor. I will mail the boxes flat packed and they should be quite light. I am sure the cheaper cost of labour here and buying wholesale from the factory will cancel out any shipping cost.

Minimum Quantities
It's not worth my time dealing in small quantities. I'll set the minimum lot at 20. You can order in units of 20.

Indications of Interest
I am looking for buyers to register interest and state approximate quantities required, so that I can get a factory quote. You will not be held to your quantities until I have provided a final shipped price and you have given explicity committed orders.

Tags
knife, knives