MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 01-20-2006, 09:25 AM
Steel Addict

I agree they should be alike. Border patrol handle, brass hilt, black and brass spacers.

Steve
Old 01-22-2006, 09:07 AM
Skilled

Champoinship game

O.K., folks,
Being as how today is the NFL "final" playoff game, with the super bowl coming up in a couple of weeks, I am suggesting the following. Let's have our final comments on these bowies and get em' coming.
2 votes for "commando", 2 votes for "concaved", 2 votes for "border patrol", and 1 vote for sfg or fg's doesn't give us total resulution! I am travelling back to Florida today and will pick up my Randall order tomorrow. I will decide upon which handle shape to use tomorrow evening. You can decide this amongst ya', or I will. Either way: Tommorow night! Final!
The hardware will be brass scalloped collars and butt caps, if border patrol is "not" voted for: No scalloped butt caps are available on a border patrol handle. I will post the results tommorow. Best, Captain Chris Stanaback

Old 01-22-2006, 04:28 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to Raindog
OK folks, the Captain has spoken. I have given my reasons for a concave shaped handle. POSSIBLE authenticity and a personal preference due to my small hands. Plus I like the look. I am ready for discussion if someone thinks that they can change my vote.

- Ronald Reagan
Old 01-23-2006, 01:56 AM
Steel Addict

Raindog
Looks like you might get your way. I'll give it a vote for concave,
Panhead
Old 01-23-2006, 08:48 AM

Alright, I'll concede my vote for the concave handle.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:18 AM
Skilled

Hi all! It's great to see so much participation on this Bowie build. I don't really have a dog in this fight but I think the border patrol or SFG will show off the wood grain best and I would top it off with a brass butt plate if available to protect the end of the handle from dings. I had a concave, walnut Bear with forward curve brass, fluted collar and fluted butt cap and I reckon my individual taste didn't mesh well with that configuration. For me, it was like putting a prom dress on a Marine.

Keep those votes coming! Love these builds and learning the available configurations!

ol' seuss
Old 01-23-2006, 12:56 PM

My personal favorite is the border patrol handle, with the concave being #2.
But, in order to get this completed and to arrive to a compromise, I changed my vote to the concave.

If I'm lucky enough to get this one, I'll just order another one from the shop. Just to have them both.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:26 PM
Steel Addict

Since the votes for handle shape will be tallied shortly, I too will vote for "Concaved". This should show off the grain of the wood!

Kent

RKS #109
Old 01-23-2006, 03:44 PM
Skilled

concave

RKS #4868
NRA & TSRA Life Member
Deep East Texas Life Resident (so far)
Old 01-23-2006, 06:03 PM
Steel Addict

I agree with Seuss I like Border Patrol or SFG or Finger Grips to show off the wood
Thanks
Capt

Old 01-23-2006, 06:29 PM

Exclamation Idea!

Hi all!

For those of you who may be unsure, why not take a look at the incredible "Big Bear" collection posted by Randall Man on the Model of the Week, Model #12 (big and little bears) thread. You can see the differences between the various handle shapes and hardware options.

It may help you in your decision.

Cheers!

David

Old 01-23-2006, 06:39 PM

Concave it is, then.

Brad

RKS #5127
NRA Life Member
Old 01-23-2006, 07:15 PM
Skilled

Tallies!

O.K., folks,
Thanks to all for your quick responses. Concaved handle gets the nod, but truely looks like crap with a single hilt, so here is my suggestion. Let's make the "Little Bear" with a double brass #1 style hilt. Brass scalloped collar and a brass scalloped but cap(not flanged as it will be "way" too heavy.)
We can make the "Big Bear" in the same configuration, or forward curve it! Before you go wanting a forward curved on both, please keep in mind that a forward curved is a little "heavy" on the "Little Bear". I am not saying I won't order it, but it is just something to keep in mind.
I think "Commando" would have made a heavy forward curved double hilt "feel" a little better on the small knife, but "concaved" is what we are going with. A few more comments are,not only alright, but welcome! The entire idea of these building projects is to utillize my, as well as others, knowledge and opinions/ suggestions to realize a really nice, cool, unique Randall. During this process, I hope we have done just that! Best, Captain Chris Stanaback

P.S. April, 2006 (which means May, 2006 right now) is the first delivery slot open. Let's decide now, so as not to delay this! CCS

Old 01-23-2006, 07:30 PM
Steel Addict

Double brass No. 1 style hilt would look awsome on the little bear. I wouldn't mind it on the Big Bear as well. What the heck lets keep them as close to the same as possible. Yea ha almost ready. I really enjoy these builds and once again thanks Capt. for doing this for us here.
Panhead
Old 01-23-2006, 09:26 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to Raindog
Everybody was real nice about compromising on the handle shape so I'll give on the foward curved hilt. Straight is fine. I'll also forgo the flanged butt cap on the Big Bear if no one else wants it but I think that it will make the knife a lttle blade heavy.

- Ronald Reagan

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knives