MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 09-10-2005, 10:44 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to RedElk
Quote:
Originally Posted by The "Captain"
Redelk,
"Yankees" are members of the "just not right" club. "Southerners" are members of the "just AIN'T right" club. Get it right, or you're gonna get demoted.
My apologies. I have to speak "Yankee-ese" at work. Slipping and saying "I'm fixin' to" could get me fired.
Old 09-11-2005, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigsticker
I have to ask. Are we talking about if we had to go war,or are we talking about conceled carry. The other thought I have had is do we want a stabber or a slasher. If we are talking about carrying on the street I would carry a gambler. This is what I carry eveyday when I go out. It has saved my backside a couple of times. Now if we are talking about going of to war would be 1-8. So the qustion is which are we bulding for I have to assume for the street. Not sure .

Excellent point. Very well put!!

My close friend, a Ranger talked with me about......fighting knives..............I had my model 2 in '68. He said a wide blade promotes shock through a higher blood loss. He said the khukuri, or British smatchet was the best fighting knife.

My other friend who is very skilled at Arnis and Silat favored a lighter blade.

I commented any hard pointed object was suitable. It is the mindset. I liked my model 2. It was a no brainer how to use it.

A model 14 is a great field user, I have 2. But a model 14 cannot get a razor edge like a model 1, nor can you "dance" in and out stabbing and slashing because it is too heavy, and limits hand manipulation of the knife.

I'm beginning to not like this thread, it brings back too many memories and most here are just playing.

I just thought I would interject some personal facts and help those who really would like to have a "fighting knife" not a survival, camp blade or an assaination type knife.

A knife fight is bad news!!!!! It doesn't last long and blood turns sticky like maple syrup and you slip on it when on hard floors or concrete.
Old 09-11-2005, 08:56 AM
Skilled

Let's build a Randall "Fighter",
That's the thread...and project. I was responding to Redelk's "Cattleman/ Guardian" post, with regards to my "Small Gambler" recommendation. This "building" project calls for your ideas and input for a combat fighter. Pigsticker: Thanks for pointing out the differences, but I "did" say that the Sm. Gambler was more of a everyday carry, and "that" would probably be a "different" project. Hope we are all as clear as mud now. Back to work, folks. Play nice and: remember. These building projects are supposed to be "fun" as well as giving some poor slob a chance to buy a really cool Randall without having to wait too long. Let's not let it consume us or cause any ill-feelings in any way. Rather: Let's share our ideas in creating it!! Best, Captain Chris Stanaback

Old 09-11-2005, 09:12 AM

#14 - Still for me!

Hi folks!

I would assume a "fighter" is a knife I could use effectively in all situations, and that's why I picked the Model #14. However, if it's the winning model, I will explain the options I believe will fulfill most of the requirements, (balance, etc.) that you are looking for.

To Pigsticker: Ryan, about your "Gambler", didn't you mean to say: " It has shaved my backside a couple of times." And if so, shouldn't you be more careful how you carry it!

And BTW, where's PSwife?

To Cochise: Firstly, welcome to the forums! Yes, this is all about having fun!

Cheers!

Moosehead (Official Canadian member of the "Just Ain't Right Club")

Last edited by Moosehead; 09-11-2005 at 09:24 AM.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:04 AM
Steel Addict

I suppose any knife could be used as a fighter. I have had to use a knife on humans twice in my life. Neither knife was what you would call a fighter per say, but still effective. I really believe a model 1 in 6" or 7" would work about the best for skilled knife fighting. I still want a model 1 in 8". Yep, that is what we should build.
Panhead
Old 09-11-2005, 10:33 AM
Steel Addict

Oh, Did I mention a model #2-7" ? (HeeHee)
Old 09-11-2005, 01:48 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to Raindog
Wow! I knew that I would be in a minority, suggesting a Bear Bowie. I didn't expect to be a lone voice. I mean, let's face it. If I am fighting for my life, I am not worried about the little slices on the arms and legs. I want something that I can sink deep and do blunt force damage and allow as much life to escape as possible. For me, that means a heavy blade, wide, long and tall. The Bowie fits the bill.

-gary

- Ronald Reagan
Old 09-11-2005, 03:07 PM
Enthusiast

fighting knife

All right we are buliding a fighting kinfe for use from war to the streets this is my pick. 1-7. Moose I will say it you just aint right man. You need help .
Old 09-12-2005, 09:58 PM

My vote goes to a #1.
BR

Old 09-13-2005, 11:19 AM
Skilled

Results

Well,folks: The results are in. The winner is the good old-fashioned Model #1 "All-purpose Fighter"!! 2nd was the Model #14-7 1/2", "Attack" model. 3rd place went to the Model #15-5 1/2" "Airman". Bowies, Stillettos, Trout and Birds, Special Fighters, and Combat Companions received about an equal number of votes each, but the clear winner was the Model #1!! We can now move on to stage #2. Thanks to all for your support, thus far...."BUT"...We still have a long way to go!! Best, Captain Chris Stanaback

Last edited by The "Captain"; 09-13-2005 at 11:22 AM.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:45 PM
Skilled

Cap, is this what you were looking for?

seuss
Old 01-16-2008, 03:18 PM
Steel Addict

What's up? Yep, I won that one also.
Steven
Old 01-16-2008, 05:02 PM
Skilled

Steven, you ol' panhead, I'm as confused as you or maybe even more confuser and I'm the one that did it.

seuss
Old 01-16-2008, 06:12 PM

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Well I'm not really confused, just puzzled!

Cheers!

Moosehead

Old 01-17-2008, 08:00 AM
Skilled

Brain Fart??

Folks,
Although it is nice to take these trips down memory lane...this was just a brain fart, on my part! (Hey...That rhymes!!) I was trying to get in touch with the winner of the "Special Fighter" project on RKS' forum and posted on the wrong one. Sorry...I'll make it up to ya'll...How about a "fighter build"??? Would that do it? Let me know, Capt. Chris Stanaback

P.S. The thought I deleted my request??CCS

Tags
blade, knife, knives