MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 09-08-2005, 07:41 PM
Skilled

Let's build a Randall "fighter"!!

My fellow Randall knife freaks,
The first and second installment seemed to go well. I thought we'd try a third!! This time, for absolutely no particular reason, I thought we would build a Randall "fighter". By this, I mean a Randall that you would feel comfortable with in combat, but with the main purpose being self defense.
For all of our new members, as well as to "update" all others, I am going to break this construction project down into 4 parts. 1st of all we will decide on a model. 2nd, we will choose the blade steel, as well as blade length, if applicable. (If ya'll decide on a Model #15 there is only a 5 1/2" blade length, but a model #1 or #2...different story). The 3rd stage of this project will consist of selecting the handle material and shaping of it. The 4th stage will "dress" it up (or not) by choosing the optional collateral equipment, including the sheath!! The first step should take the least amount of time and posts..The final ones...well: that could be a different story!!
Here's the good news: After we "build" this Randall fighter on this forum, I am going to submit the specifications to the Randall shop for delivery around the beginning of the year, probably in mid January or February. We will, once again, have a number chosen from 1 to 100. Every member who "contributes" with their input and ideas during the "construction" of this knife on the forum, will be allowed to take 1 guess as to the number. The closest to or the person guessing the exact number will be given the option of buying this fighter at current Randall catalog price, with a 90 day, or so delivery time!!
Does that sound good to all? If so, let's begin. I am going to be a bit "out of pocket" for the next day or so, as I am leaving here before midnight for a short trip to Jacksonville and back, returning Saturday night. I will check in, if I get a chance. Everyone: "PLEASE" participate!! This is your forum, and gonna be one of ya'll's Randall knives!! Build it right!!
Best to ya', and good luck, Captain Chris Stanaback

Old 09-08-2005, 07:58 PM
Steel Addict

Cap,
Thanks for making the opportunity to build these knives available for the forum!!

My choice would be the Model 15. While there is much to be said for a longer blade, I personally find the 15 very practical. It's a strong dependable knife and the 5 1/2 inch blade makes it convenient to carry while sitting in a vehicle or aircraft, and easy to carry on a pack or web gear.
Wayne

Last edited by crimsontide; 09-08-2005 at 08:16 PM.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:00 PM
Steel Addict

I'll kick it off with a #2 7" in SS.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:03 PM
Enthusiast

I agree with crimsontide about #15. It is one of my personal favorites because of the blade length. Since we are building a fighter, however, I will go with the model #16 SP#1 Special Fighter. I like the extra heavy tang in the handle.

I will choose #70.

Keith
Old 09-08-2005, 08:06 PM
Steel Addict

I am not sure if I have ever told any of you guys

But I am kinda partial to the model 1, 8"

Being that I was very nicely asked to be a mod here by some fine folks.
I am ineligible by choice in the winning of this but I just had to put in my 2 bits

Rob

Thanks yet again Cap for your continued support and generosity

Last edited by Rob Kelly; 09-08-2005 at 08:08 PM.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:10 PM
Steel Addict

Although I do like the 16 SP #1, my eyes love the Model 14. Big, strong, and would have to be intimidating in knife fight!

By the way Keith, the #'s come later when it's time to figure out a winner! I think I'd stay away from 70 now!
Old 09-08-2005, 08:13 PM
Skilled

Keith,
My fault, but: I haven't even "picked" the winning number yet. In the past 2 projects, we took care of all of that "after" we had decided exactly "which" Randall we were, indeed trying to obtain. I think, if later on, you were to win with that number, folks might talk bad about both our families!! Let's put all number guessing on hold until after the final stage is complete. I will make a seperate post announcing this and the numbers will be first come/ first served, with regards to who gets to pick what. Again: Not your fault: Totally mine. Hope we're "all" on the same page now. Best, Captain Chris Stanaback

Old 09-08-2005, 08:19 PM
Enthusiast

Sure thing. That makes sense.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:31 PM

"ATTACK"!!!

Hi Cap et all!

I would definitely want to be packing a #14.

I follow the thinking of Bill Bagwell, author of "Bowies, Big Knives and Battle Blades".

I want something capable of of quickly disabling my opponent, and one requires a solid blade with limb amputating capabilities for this task. :evil

Ouch!

David

Old 09-08-2005, 08:45 PM
Skilled

For me, it's my first love. Model #1-8".

Seussbrother
Old 09-08-2005, 08:50 PM
Skilled

.....I love my Model 14 and it was my military knife for many years but it is just too darned heavy for easy carry. I really like the 16-7 Special Number 1 Fighter but we would not have a lot of options to discuss in setting it up. The Buxton Fighter is really ideal but like the 16-7 Special Number 1 there are not too many ways we could option it out to make it unique and also our good friend the Captain cannot get us one of them. That is unless he was to order it from Mr. Buxton. For those reasons I pick either a Model 15 CDT or a Model 1.
Jeff

Last edited by jclarksnakes; 09-08-2005 at 08:52 PM.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:56 PM

Unfortunately the blade I'd pick isn't available from the shop anymore. I'm talking about the big club knife. As DW would have to agree, that knife caused more blood loss around the shop than any other model. As for what's available, I'd say 1-7. . Dan
Old 09-08-2005, 09:01 PM
Enthusiast

I'd have to go with the first Randall I bought--#1-8, , double hilt, stacked leather handle with a tong.

Old 09-08-2005, 09:06 PM
Steel Addict

I'd have to come in with a Model #14....... it's just about perfect.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:09 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclarksnakes
.....I love my Model 14 and it was my military knife for many years but it is just too darned heavy for easy carry.
Is the #14 the baddest frog in the pond? I was under the impression the Special Fighter was the end-all be-all of fighters.

Jeff, I see your point about being limited in our setup options by going with a 16. For that reason, I change my vote to the model 14.

Keith

Tags
blade, knife, knives