MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 05-06-2005, 02:53 PM

"Click thumbnail to enlarge" Image Posting Technique

I promised Moosehead I'd share this with the Randall knife enthusiasts who are new to Knife Network Forums. Here goes........

Ever become frustrated with a thread you wanted to read that had so many large file images in it that it took forever to load? I have, and often I'll just move on without ever reading that thread. I think that happens a lot in any forum where images are a big part of what gets posted. Here's a technique that will allow you to post your images in 'thumbnail' size for quick loading. The viewer can then click the thumbnail and open the full-size image in a separate window - very handy.

This technique assumes your images are already compressed to reasonable size (72 or at most 96 dpi and approximately 640 pixels or less wide and 480 or less pixels tall. Image editing programs that have 'save for web' or low, medium, high image quality settings will often automatically do this for you. This technique also assumes you use an image hosting site where you store your images. I use fototime.com but there are lots and some are free.

This forum also allows posting of images from your own computer files. How to do this can be found elsewhere but in this post I'm focusing on one specific way to post images. If you choose to embed images directly into your posts at full size, be sure to reduce and compress them as suggested above. Here's the basic technique:

1) [ URL=XXX] [IMG]X XX[ /IMG] [/ URL] Copy and paste this but take out the spaces I had to use to get it to show in this post before you use it. Replace the XXXs with your image link in both places.
2) Now replace the orig or standard in the second link you just inserted as per above with thumbnail
3) It should now look something like this:
[ URL =http: //ww w.fototime.com/XX XXXXXXX XXXXX/orig.j pg] [I MG]http://www.fotot ime.co m/XXXX XXXXX XXXXX/thumbnail.jpg [/IM G] [/URL ] (but no spaces)

Preview your post and open your thumbnail to confirm that it works the submit your post.

I store the template from #1 above in an e-mail subject heading on my computer so I can quickly copy it anytime I want to post pictures.

Here's how it works. Let's say I'm in the forum and want to start a new thread or reply to another post and I want to include an image. I open my e-mail application, go to drafts, open the e-mail where I've stored my link from #1 above, copy it and move back to the forum window where I want to compose my post. First I paste the link in my post, then I open MS Internet Explorer again in a second window (you're already in the forum writing your post in the first window and you can't use that window to access your photo hosting site without losing the post you've already started), retrieve the link for the image I want to post, copy it, go back to the first window and paste it as in #2 above. Repeat as many times as the number of images you want to include in your post.

It may sound complicated but once you do it a few times it's very fast. And using this technique makes a huge difference in thread loading time. Impatient people then don't bail on your thread which is taking soooo long to load and/or they can even eye-ball the thumbnail to decide if the want to open it or not. These are meaningful benefits to readers of your posts.

Thanks to Jim "COOP" Cooper for teaching me how to do this!
Old 05-06-2005, 08:08 PM

Hi Buddy!

Thanks very much for the instructions with regard to the "thumbnail" image posting techniques.

I'm sure that folks who use image hosting sites to store their photos will find this information most useful.

Moosehead

Tags
knife